fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: DIY in ear head phones/mic ???????

Hi to all

I am about to order up the stuff to do the DIY head phones...but...before i do I have a few questions.

1. I noted that Travis said.....

"Be advised, the below listed mic plug from Aircraft Spruce does not fit the standard mic jacks in our planes. I don't know why they sell them or at least don't advise they are not the standard aircraft mic size, even though they are VERY close to correct. Just wanted to warn anyone thinking about getting one.

11-00702 .206" COMMERCIAL MIC PLUG $6.95"

What is the replacement part for this plug and where to buy........???

2. This is the list of stuff I am going to buy.....

2 sets of High Tech Noise Reduction NR-10 Earphones

2 sets of Jack plugs unknown part #/ vendor
11-04838 HEADSET MICROPHONE A1060 BLACK $17.50
11-04840 HEADSET MICROPHONE WINDSCREEN $1.50

Anything else to add to the list??????????

3. What is the latest results and quality of these diy earphones/mics used in the real world applications??????

Now back to the job of routing / attaching that oil breather tube around the 90 degree oil filter/other stuff........................plus the last 100000000000000 details.......Just about done....:D

Now if I can just get my blood sugar/blood pressure to cooperate at the next upcoming physical I will be good to go. Man getting old is just not what it used to be:eek:

Thanks for your help for those that have blazed the trail before me:)

Frank @ SGU & 1L8.........RV7A

Last edited:
Now back to the job of routing / attaching that oil breather tube around the 90 degree oil filter/other stuff

Hey Frank, Since you hijacked your own thread, I'll ask you how you plan to route that oil breather tube...I put a nice crease in mine trying to get it to bend so as not to touch the oil filter. I may have to make a new one.

Update: Since I don't know what engine you have, I guess it may not apply...if anyone else has suggestions about this with an 0-360, I'd like to hear how they did it.

HI Sonny

My engine is an ECi Titan IOX 360 FI / EI (dual P-mags) with a horizontal ram air throttle body attacted the new ECi Magnesium oil Sump, 90 Degree oil filter adapter (Ken from Van's was really unimpressed with the oil adapter). I called Ken to get some wisdom on how to route the oil breather ...but...he was not willing to give advice as I was so far off of the Van's Reservation:eek: So my A/P helper came by and gave me some good tips. Basically we went to Checker Auto...I mean Checker Aero and bought about 5plus feet of 3/4 radiator hose. Put the hose on the oil breather fitting and just ran it along the upper rod of the engine mount going to the port side of the plane. Held it in place with high temp tie wraps (thanks Stein). Oh I forgot I also wraped the upper rod of the engine mount with silicone tape at each attach point. From there I made a gradual bend in the hose and tie wrapped it on the middle rod of the mount. From there continued inboard / down and put an adel clamp on the fire wall next to the 90 degree angle stiffener on the fire wall. From there continued in board and down until it reached the the lower mount rod where I attached it with two wratching metal clamps looped in each other. Then I used just about three inches of the metal piped suppied by vans to have it exit near the port side 4 port exhaust system.

Ya know one picture would be worth a thousand words.........I will go take one and added it to a thread on oil breather routing thread.....

Frank @ SGU & 1L8 RV7A

Hey Frank, Since you hijacked your own thread, I'll ask you how you plan to route that oil breather tube...I put a nice crease in mine trying to get it to bend so as not to touch the oil filter. I may have to make a new one.

Update: Since I don't know what engine you have, I guess it may not apply...if anyone else has suggestions about this with an 0-360, I'd like to hear how they did it.

Last edited:
Hi to all
2 sets of Jack plugs unknown part #/ vendor
11-04838 HEADSET MICROPHONE A1060 BLACK $17.50
11-04840 HEADSET MICROPHONE WINDSCREEN $1.50
Nothing to add, but I wanted to let you know that the $17.50 mic comes with a windscreen, so there is no need to order them seperately. Having said that, you can't find 'em cheaper than $1.50 in any FBO, and they will inevitably wear out.