fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE:Compressor ???

I need to up date my compressor to at least a 13 cfm....60 gal....oil compressor.

What is the best buy out there....best company.....

I have checked and just don't have a good knowledge base to make an informed decision.

Thanks in Advance

Frank @ 1L8...RV7A...last 935 details....................

I can't tell you what to buy, but here's what not to buy:

I and many others have had bad luck with the pump on the Craftsman twin cylinder, 3.2 hp, 60 gallon, professional line. The head gasket was improperly designed, leading to quite a few pump failures.

Frank-

I bought the Husky Pro 60 gal compressor from Home Depot and have had good luck with it so far.

Another don't buy

I went through two Lowe's Kobalt compressors in two months. Even though they replaced the first one, I got my $ back on the second one and bought a DeWalt.

greg

I also recommend a two stage.
two stage not twin cylinder (actually they do have two cylinders but are different)
In a two stage, one piston takes the presure up to say 40 lbs and the second piston takes it up to a higher pressure. I believe mine is on at 125 and off at 150 lbs. You can then regulate your line pressure to whatever you want. Compressor will not have to run as long. Unless you enjoy the noise.

The volume is nice if you want to run a tool that uses lots of air.

I have not built a plane yet............just somewhat familiar with compressors, so info is worth what you pay for it.
Todd
NW Ohio

Craftsman compressor

I also have the Craftsman 60gal. Professional compressor that had head gasket problems. My compressor has blown its head gasket two times but the last gaskets has been holding for about a year. Don't know it they changed material or design. They are not hard to change but I wasn't expecting them to blow either.

Frank Foreman

No HF

I would stay away fm Harbor Freight compressors, Central Machinery, etc... For occasional shop use they're okay, but for heavy use, high air demand (air drill especially), they just don't get it. For a few dollars more, they are others out there far better in performance and build quality.