mcjon77

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

I was reading the threads regarding turbochargers, and I kept noticing that the focus seems to be on trying to convert an automobile turbo into an aircraft turbo. However I have not seen anything here regarding adding a Rayjay turbocharger that is already designed for aircraft engines (specificaly the Lyc 320/360s).

Are there any downsides to going this route, as opposed to trying to get an automobile turbocharger to work? I am assuming cost is an issue. I have heard that used ones can be had for ~$5K and shop overhauls are ~$2K. Why don't we hear more about going this route in experimental aircraft? I am assuming that there is some catch that I just don't know about. Any info would be helpful.

Hi guys,

I was reading the threads regarding turbochargers, and I kept noticing that the focus seems to be on trying to convert an automobile turbo into an aircraft turbo. However I have not seen anything here regarding adding a Rayjay turbocharger that is already designed for aircraft engines (specificaly the Lyc 320/360s).

Are there any downsides to going this route, as opposed to trying to get an automobile turbocharger to work? I am assuming cost is an issue. I have heard that used ones can be had for ~$5K and shop overhauls are ~$2K. Why don't we hear more about going this route in experimental aircraft? I am assuming that there is some catch that I just don't know about. Any info would be helpful.

No catch, just the likelyhood that surplus auto turbochargers are likely to cost a lot less than an "aviation" one. The turbocharger doesn't know that it's on the road or in the air, only if it's pressure map is a good fit for the particular engine. Go to Amazon.com and search for "turbocharger", and you'll find several good reference books available to assist you in evaluating a particular turbocharger, of whatever pedigree, as being suitable for your engine.