tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
Which way is up?

I am about to install the Ray Allen LED trim and flap indicators. Which way do they go into the panel?

The wire bundle coming out of the back is off to one side and not in the middle. That is my reference for orientation. They will both be installed vertically. I am using the Ray Allen flap position detector and the standard vans electric trim motor.

For those of you who have installed them, can you tell me which orientation is correct? Any other issues that I should know about regarding the installation?

Thanks,

Tony

Whether you have the position senser installed to show full up when in or out will affect the display, as well. Just mount them in and turn it upsidedown if it registers the wrong way. Leave a little slack in the wires so you can pull it out and turn it. Another option is to change the wires to reverse the display. Ray Allen can advise you on that. Before you bundle all the wires up, try a test run of all your electrical devices.

Roberta

regarding the trim-- IIRC there are six wires, four colored and two others slightly larger and both white and the two white ones are the ones that you reverse if they're going the wrong way?

Yep, you can do them either way.

As far as elevator trim, you can get stickers from Ray Allen that look very nice that you put on the LED bezel. They have stickers for representing elevator trim either way. If you see them at an airshow and stop by their booth they'll give you some of the stickers.

thanks

Thanks for the input Roberta, Mark and Jamie.

I guess I will leave them loose until I hook them up and see which was the indicator lights move. I have the stickers with the trim graduations. I will wait to put those on as well.

Since our applications are so standard in the RV's, I was hoping that someone who had installed theirs would be able to say "put the wires on the (right/left")

Tony