rocketbob

Well Known Member
When I recovered my -6 from Atlanta Air Salvage, where it was taken by the insurance company after the SNF tornado, I cut the mangled horizontal stabilizer off with a sawzall. In a moment of clarity I managed to get into a corner of the trim servo with the sawzall, which I was going to reuse. When we got home I called The Ray Allen Co. to get a new case for the servo. They said they would rather that I sent them my servo and they would repair it. So I did. The other day I got a box and inside it was a brand new servo with an invoice for $9.00 to cover shipping.

So my advice for anyone contemplating manual trim.... DON'T. :)

Bob,

Did you use any type of speed controller for your servo?

I'm installing TWC's Safety Trim unit. I got the thing on the advice that the Ray Allen servo needs to be slowed down.

It's always good to hear about companies that are all about customer service. :)

When I recovered my -6 from Atlanta Air Salvage, where it was taken by the insurance company after the SNF tornado, I cut the mangled horizontal stabilizer off with a sawzall.

Glad it's working for you, Bob. But, this just makes me sick. Can't imagine how you...

Ray Allen is a First Class company. They really stand by a very fine product line and are very people oriented. Glad they helped you out and sorry about losing your plane. That was just carnage in Florida.

Roberta

Bob,

I'm installing TWC's Safety Trim unit. I got the thing on the advice that the Ray Allen servo needs to be slowed down.

It's always good to hear about companies that are all about customer service. :)

I don't use a speed controller on my 6A. I just make quick blips. I've never felt the need to use one.

L.Adamson

You'll like it if you buy it

Bob,

It works like a charm and makes wiring dual stick grips a piece of cake. No relays to fail. It just worked from the get go with no adjustments. Flying 200 hours with it so far...

Not since Ray has owned the company

Bob,

Sam,
It's my understanding, that the issue of servos running to fast was only an issue when the company was MAC. Once Ray purchased the company [now RAC] they slowed the servo speed down, so that it's no longer an issue.
Charlie

Bob,

Yes I had one of Ray Allen's speed controllers.

On my Rocket I have been working on an altitude hold circuit that also doubles as a trim controller since I am using the trim servo for the altitude hold. It also serves as an AOA instrument. Its based on a 32-bit NXP ARM7 microcontroller.

Fortunately I had a fairly high hull value on my -6 so I've come out on top. I have an entirely new fuselage kit I got from Van's to rebuild it, and I'm keeping both airplanes when I'm done...whenever that will be..;)

Last edited: