airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Ok, so I'm getting to a point where I can see the need for some rattle-can touch up of primer spots coming soon. I hear a lot of people using "napa 7220" and getting it from the local napa auto parts store - but their online catalog does not show this product, and searches on that part number come back for Gojo hand cleaner. Now Gojo is good stuff, but it ain't quite what I need. What do they call this stuff, how can I find it?

GBP-988

I know this isn't what you've asked, but I have had great results with Sherwin Williams GBP-988. It is a self-etching primer, commonly used by RV builders. You can find several threads in the archives about it. Your local Sherwin Williams paint store may have it in stock, otherwise look for a Sherwin Williams Automotive store.

Ask them in the store. It's there somewhere and that is the correct number. If they don't carry it in the store, just have them order it. Also, it seems to go on sale for 1/2 price each year around April and October. Next time it does, buy a case. At regular price it costs just a little less than Sherwin Williams GBP-988, which apparently comes out of the exact same vat anyway. On the half-price sales, however, the 7220 only costs about $3.75-4.00 a can.

Ok, so I'm getting to a point where I can see the need for some rattle-can touch up of primer spots coming soon. I hear a lot of people using "napa 7220" and getting it from the local napa auto parts store - but their online catalog does not show this product, and searches on that part number come back for Gojo hand cleaner. Now Gojo is good stuff, but it ain't quite what I need. What do they call this stuff, how can I find it?

Do a search on spray paint-specialty primer on NAPA web site. They have the 7220 listed however it states that the item must be purchased from your local NAPA parts store. They do not sell it on line.

Hazmat?

I think allot of paint products are not worth the effort for retailers to ship out when they are classified as hazardous materials. When the product is only a few bucks a can the extra charges for the special shipping make it seem more sensible to be to procure locally if at all possible.

Napa, Osh & others are replenished by there own delivery systems for the most part. When they have that kind of network they can keep there costs down.:rolleyes:

ask them to order the good stuff

They can order it and for me it's a good product. The brand on the shelf in my local NAPA shop was beyond useless. If the can does not have '7220' on it, return unopened!
The only issue I had is they asked me to order a case (6 or 8 cans?)

Good, but odoriforous

This is the brand I use. It's convenient, and works well.

One note, use a good respirator. Lots of nasty chemicals here.

7220 primer

I just bought four more cans after using up the case I bought for half price about a year and a half ago. I called the store. They said they had four cans and it listed for 9.79. When I got to the store the four cans were on the bottom shelf and the price tag showed 8.49. Well, since I could not get it at half price as I had previously I figured I better get the 8.49 price at least. Sure enough, when I set the cans down in front of the cash register, the cashier rang them up at 9.79. I told him the price tag on the shelf showed 8.49. He walked over saw that tag on the shelf and took it off immediately. I guess I ruined the savings for the next guy but he did give me the lower price.

I also could not find it listed on the NAPA website. However, calling your local NAPA store and asking if they have it will net you results. Most of the stores around here have never had more than 2 or 3 cans on the shelf at any given time. Check with them before going to the store to make sure they have some in stock.

It is definitely worth it to look for this product when it goes on sale. I wish I had bought two cases instead of one when I bought my first batch at half price. One case was just not enough to prime everything I wanted primed.

I have been using this stuff for when I use rattle can primer:

2002353917184628775_rs.jpg

I have tried all the major self etching rattle can stuff and this is the best I have found for durability. It is way more durable than Marhyde It is like $4.50 a can at the local Autozone.

Clean with thinner, scratch with a scotchbrite pad, blow off the dust and spray.

Still sticking with 7220.

I am surpised that some of you got acceptable performance from the Dupli-color?:eek: I was lucky to get the 7220 the first time I ordered and felt it was a very good primer. The next time I got the Dupli-color and was so disapointed I requested a refund!
Has anyone else used both to compare? Is it possible I got a bad batch of Dupli-color?:confused:

I am surpised that some of you got acceptable performance from the Dupli-color?:eek: I was lucky to get the 7220 the first time I ordered and felt it was a very good primer. The next time I got the Dupli-color and was so disapointed I requested a refund!
Has anyone else used both to compare? Is it possible I got a bad batch of Dupli-color?:confused:

Really strange, I love it. I have used both and I like it better. Funny thing is though, I think all of this stuff is made by Sherwin Williams.

Same here

JD,
I too have used them both and like the dupli-color better. Be sure it says self-etching primer and is that darker green color.

The 7220 scratches off too easily for me, but I still use it here and there.

Mark

Last edited:
Ask for a discount

I have been using duplicolor self etching primer and everytime I buy, I ask if I can get a discount if I buy by the case, I think 7 bucks a can at the local napa. It seems to be holding up pretty well.

THree cheers for the Dupli-color stuff! Early on I tried two cans of Zinc Oxide primer ...on one the nozzle clogged permanently after about 4 spritzes. $7.50 down the drain. Since then I've used the Dupli-color product and had totally good experience with it. It's all I'll use now.

I've got some spare sheet metal (right HS skin, as a result of my first major FUBAR, see web link in my sig) so I'll try out both on that spare metal. I picked up two cans of the 7220 yesterday from my NAPA here in Midland, TX at 9.79 per can.

I found the exact same stuff I've been buying at NAPA at the local Walmart store (Automotive section) for just over $4.00 a can instead of $8.00 at NAPA!

Vince

I believe the best is epoxy priming but I'm lazy and cleaning the spray gun every time I prim a part sounds like a pain. What I did was alumniprep'ed, alodined, then finally sprayed the parts with cans of SEM Self Etching Primer. It seems to work but check back with me in 20 years and I'll tell you how it is holding up. To make life easier on my index finger, I bought the pistol grip you see in the picture from Home Depot.

BTW, SEM is based her in Charlotte and one of their tech reps is going to speak at our March meeting. We should learn a good bit from them at that session.

duplicolor vs 7220

count me in as another vote that says that the duplicolor self-etching primer is superior to the 7220. i agree it is tougher, and also doesn't cost as much.