Dorfie

Well Known Member
Is there a primer, especially high build primer, available in a rattle can for use on fiberglass? (The cabin is driving me nuts....and I am only on the inside still!!)
Thanks.
Johan

If you are painting your exterior, I would not recommend any 1 part primer. In a modern Polyurethane paint job, sanding primer and fillers should all be 2 part. If you do use single part, be sure that it gets covered by an Epoxy sealer before paint. The issue here is solvent entrapment.

The type of primer job you are looking at won't really help. The sprayed primer won't fill the holes. You need thin poly filler and a scraper. I have found that it goes pretty easy.

Larry

Primer

The Randolph green epoxy primer adheres better to fiberglass than any other primer I have used. You can also use it for filling pinholes by mixing in some micro and applying with a squeegee. If your final paint will be a light color, top coat the green primer with a two part light colored primer such as PPG K36. Randolph is available from Aircraft Spruce and other vendors.