Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
The RV4 engine mount does not get powder coated (issue with the match drilled legs according to factory) - comes raw in a coat of machine oil from the factory. I'm curious if anyone has successfully primed/painted their mount with something from a rattle can? I don't have any paint equipment and just thought I'd ask before biting the bullet and taking it to a paint shop.
Eric

I used Pactra model airplane Formula -U fuel proof Polyurathane, Flight Aluminum on my mount twenty three years ago and it has lasted well. Used that paint on my Great American prop as well and everybody initially thought I had a metal prop.

The RV4 engine mount does not get powder coated (issue with the match drilled legs according to factory) - comes raw in a coat of machine oil from the factory. I'm curious if anyone has successfully primed/painted their mount with something from a rattle can? I don't have any paint equipment and just thought I'd ask before biting the bullet and taking it to a paint shop.
Eric

Eric, rattle can paint is a cheap and easy application but low performance result. The engine mount is a very crucial structural component and not an area where you want coating failure and subsequent corrosion. The problem with corrosion proofing the engine mount is that you only get one good shot at it. Trying to do restorative work on the mount after it is installed and the engine mounted (and all other FWF systems installed) is problematic at best, and a nightmare at worst.

I highly recommend you take it to an industrial painter who can sand blast the mount and coat it with a two pack zinc rich epoxy primer followed by a two pack polyurethane top coat. For a small dollar premium this will give you a an excellent result superior to powdercoating and one that will provide thousands of hours of reliable service.

Last edited:
And as a side note.......

While we are discussing the painting of an engine mount, it's a good idea to paint it white or a very light color. Dark colors tend to hide cracks.

If powder coat conceals cracks, then why does Vans supply engine mounts for the other models already powder-coated? Should we all be stripping these down and painting them instead?

If powder coat conceals cracks, then why does Vans supply engine mounts for the other models already powder-coated?

Cheap cheap cheap....particularly if you have no pretreatment specifications and simply buy on price. In the powdercoating business there's always some-one out there who will do a lousier job at a lower price. Quality pretreatment and ferrous metal passivation prior to the actual powdercoating costs money so when buyers shop on price alone that's typically the area where there's production corner cutting.

Last edited:
Eric

The early RV-6's can the same way. I painted mine with Rust-Oleum rattle can. Started with their primer then light machinery gray. I painted all the steel parts on my RV-6 the same way and that was over 15-years ago. Nothing has rusted out yet.

Not the best solution, but an adequate solution.

Tips:
Buy a good quality rattle can paint instead of the cheapest stuff.

Try and get as much of the mill scale off the assembly before priming, using sandpaper. We have something marketed as "metal-cloth"; comes in a roll and is narrow. Tear off a length and go to it pulling it back and forth after wrapping it halfway around the tube.

Try and get the paint on straight after sanding; before it starts corroding again.

Thorough degrease before paint application.

Don't skimp on the paint; get a good coating. Sanding part way thru might be advisable.

Andrew.