flickroll

Well Known Member
I am going to put an aluminum 'facing' in the wing tip light cut out. It will totally cover the fiberglass, using one piece of aluminum, with a bend in the middle to go around the approx 120 degree corner in the tip. I have thought about using rattle can chrome paint for a method to achieve a high gloss/low maintenance look. My question is, for those that have used this stuff, what's the best primer to use, if one is needed at all? And long term, how durable is the finish? The part will be inside the plexiglass lens so therefore it won't be subject to any handling/touching. There will be a little heat buildup from the nav/strobes as well as from the HID tip lights. Thanks

Shiny Lens Cut-Out

I've used Alclad as a reflector /cover plate on the wingtip light recess on two RV-7 installations. I just polished it up with a wool bonnet and some Met-All polish. At least I think that's the brand--I can go check on that if you're interested, but any brand polish should work well. In any case, one of the RV's has been flying for over a year and it's still shiny. Of course, any tiny scuff or scratch on the surface will really show up when it's polished, but careful selection of the piece to be cut along with gentle handling should minimize that.

I countersunk the reflector plate and mounted it with nutplates on the fiberglass and flat head stainless steel screws. The screws were also polished. The polishing goes very quickly--the part that took the most time was cutting and fitting the Alclad plate to the contours of the cut-out without the edges touching the lens.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Whatever works best for you...

Thanks for the reply Dave. I had thought about a polish job but wasn't sure how that would hold up over time. Looks like it's doing well for you, so I'll try that first. I can always do something else later if need be. Thanks again.

Just for the record...

I've used several brands of rattle can chrome paint and didn't find any of them that looked anything like chrome; some weren't even glossy. I find polishing is easy and really effective and long-lasting, but suspect the plastic mirror would give you somewhat more reflected light.