Bubblehead

Well Known Member
Moderators - I wasn't sure if this should go in the -8 area or electrical. Since it really only pertains to the -8 and not even the 8A I decided to place it in the -8/8A area. Move it as you see fit!

The RV-8 I bought last summer is a good solid flyer, with decent panel and a strong engine. The single worst system onboard is the electrical system. The wiring is pretty well done, tied together nicely, and is reliable. Unfortunately parts of it are rats nests. Here is a picture taken of the right gear box assembly.

If you want to see a larger picture of this mess, click on this thumbnail.

Maybe snake nest is a more appropriate term!

As you can see I have a lot of wires jumbled up there. I want to start untangling this while the weather is bad but need some information. Many of these wires originate in the right hand console. The console is pretty nicely done, although after reading Bob's Aeroconnection book I realize it could be a lot better.

Should the wire bundle coming from the right console continue through the landing gear box and come out the front instead of coming out the top lightening hole? Where do other builders run the wires? I'd appreciate suggestions and pictures of your installation in this area.

Last edited:
I did it the same as you...through the holes in the towers. I did add a split length of tubing around the hole to serve as a gonja big grommet to protect the wires from abrasion.
Don

Definitely, get something to protect those wires!!!!

Split tubing as Don says, or even better is caterpillar grommet, milspec stuff actually made for this purpose.

GAGCO, advertises here, has it, as does BonAero. Probably Stein, and B&C.

As to sorting out the mess, I would think tiding up what you have is going to be a lot easier than re working the whole thing. Pretty hard to give any specific advice, I dont know much about the innerds of a -8.

Good luck.

I totally agree on protecting the wires. That is high on the list. I think it's one of those "how do you eat an elephant" times, where I just need to take it one step at a time. For instance, the black coax has to be rerouted and excess cable removed. There's a shielded wire toward the back that might be step two, followed by the coax coming out the middle lightening hole.

I have bought one of the good Dymo labelers and will add labels as I work through this and track some wires through the plane.

It helps to know that others brought their wires out the same hole.

Definitely, get something to protect those wires!!!!
Split tubing as Don says, or even better is caterpillar grommet, milspec stuff actually made for this purpose.....GAGCO, advertises here, has it, as does BonAero. Probably Stein, and B&C.
There a couple of different types of edge grommets available. Spruce carries a type. The type I used on the gear tower and above the radio stack in my -6A is commonly used in production aircraft and as shown, in some locations often secured with RTV.

Last edited:
From BonAero MS21266 CATERPILLAR GROMMET http://www.bonaero.com/
Could not find it on Stein's website and cannot find reference to Gagco. Not a problem - BonAero has what I need!

Ric - the pictures help a lot. It looks like you also used flexible sleeves over wires going through the lightening hole, and you have fewer wires!

Last edited: