Bevan

Well Known Member
Although it's not specifically listed as a feature, the GRT EFIS (Horizon and sport) must have a rate of turn function. Any comments from those flying one? Please advise which one you're flying (horizon/sport) when commenting. thanks.

Bevan

Bevan,

The GRT Horizon EFIS has a mark on the primary flight display which indicates the bank angle required for a standard rate turn at the current airspeed. Just line up the bank angle pointer with the standard turn mark, and you have a standard rate turn. As the true airspeed increases, the mark will indicate a steeper required bank, and as speed decreases, a shallower bank will be required. It is really very easy to use in my RV-8.

Pat

Yes but....

Pat,

Yes I saw that mark, but doesn't that actually indicate the bank required for a level rate one turn, not the actual "current" rate of turn?

Bevan

Bevan,

The GRT Horizon EFIS has a mark on the primary flight display which indicates the bank angle required for a standard rate turn at the current airspeed. Just line up the bank angle pointer with the standard turn mark, and you have a standard rate turn. As the true airspeed increases, the mark will indicate a steeper required bank, and as speed decreases, a shallower bank will be required. It is really very easy to use in my RV-8.

Pat

Does the Dynon 180 have that feature?

Right below the heading tape is an an actual rate of turn indicator depicted as a yellow or purple bar (depending on which version of firmware you are running). The rate of turn indicator takes attitude into account so that it always gives you rate of turn around the aircraft's magnetic heading. There are also markers that indicate a standard rate turn.

Additionally, we've scaled the turn rate against the magnetic heading tape above it so that the edge of the turn indicator bar also serves as a six trend indication when read against the heading tape.

So in this picture, the aircraft is just turn to the right just shy of standard rate. You can see that based on the current turn rate, the heading will be 030 in six seconds as that is where the purple bar ends.

Bevan,

I am not quite sure I completely understand your question.

If you want to know, "How many degrees per second am I turning?" then no, the GRT does not have a direct indication of that. On the other hand, neither does a turn and bank indicator or turn coordinator.

If you want to know, "Am I making a standard rate turn?" then the answer is effectively yes, because as long as you have your bank angle matched to the indication on the bank indicator, then you are making a standard rate turn unless you are massively uncoordinated.

Pat

Where...

Right below the heading tape is an an actual rate of turn indicator depicted as a yellow or purple bar (depending on which version of firmware you are running). The rate of turn indicator takes attitude into account so that it always gives you rate of turn around the aircraft's magnetic heading. There are also markers that indicate a standard rate turn.

Additionally, we've scaled the turn rate against the magnetic heading tape above it so that the edge of the turn indicator bar also serves as a six trend indication when read against the heading tape.

So in this picture, the aircraft is just turn to the right just shy of standard rate. You can see that based on the current turn rate, the heading will be 030 in six seconds as that is where the purple bar ends.

Where is the six second indicator, please?

Thanks,

Dynon does it, how about GRT

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the Dynon screen posted by the Dynon rep (thanks), the purple line near the top of the screen is the rate of turn indication. Looks to me that when the purple bar extends all the way from center to it's marker on the right (it's currently just short of it) you're at a rate 1 turn. Looks like about 18 degrees in 6 seconds = 3 degrees/second = standard rate turn (or rate one).

Thanks to Dynon for the picture and explaination.

Now, does anyone know if GRT depicts the same info either in the same way (is this standard depiction methodolgy for glass panels stuff) or some other way?

Any of you guys flying (or think you'll be flying) IFR with GRT EFIS stuff should know this.;)

Bevan

Very similar to a standard rate turn indicator steam gauge just smarter. Here. The indicator is part of the angle of bank indicator and consists of two inverted green triangles that move in or out with airspeed. Putting the angle of bank pointer on one of the green triangles means you are performing a standard rate turn, somewhat traditional yet intuitive.

The indicator works is the same on the Horizon or the Sport EFIS; wide format display (shown) or our new 4:3 Hi Res display.

Regards,
Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

Last edited:
Am I dumb..

Pierre,
It's the right end of the purple bar.

....or what? Mel, all I see at the end of the purple bar is nothing. Above it is the 030 degree heading indicator. How/where do you find 6 degrees? I fly this D-180 in my buddy's -4 and when the purple bar reaches the mark, then it's a standard 3deg/sec turn.

Thanks,

The end of the bar in relation to the compass tape is where you will be in 6 seconds.

Do you mean..

.....that each mark of the compass tape is 2 degrees? How do you know that...something in my head ain't connecting:confused:
Thanks

Pierre,
I think you are over thinking this. You are confusing 6 degrees with 6 seconds. Nothing was said about 6 degrees.
The heading tape above the end of the bar indicates 30 degrees heading. That's the heading you will be on in 6 seconds at the current turn rate.

Thanks to all

Thanks to Carlos at GRT and all for answering/discussing this. Carlos, you may want to remind the bosses that the website is in a big need of upgrading. I think many people do their research online and the manufacture is the best place to get new and updated info. The GRT website doesn't show much change. Bevan