aelkins

Read between the lines...
Numerous NC airports suffered avionic thefts by 'airplane system knowledgable' person(s) recently.
I guess that omits all RVers as their cruise range far exceeds one state. :)
However, that does spark my following question..
Let's say YOU happen to be making a $100 hamburger run. (tied down)
As you return to your RV, you catch someone walking off with your avionics.
You look around, and there's nobody there but you and the thief...
"What do you do?"... :rolleyes:

(that reminds me, I might need to add a pistol and small folding shovel to my W&B documentation.. :cool: )
========================================

(via, faasafety.gov)
AIRPORT SECURITY ALERT!!
Notice Number: NOTC0814
Avionics Theft Alert : There has been a series of avionics thefts in North Carolina in March at numerous airports. They have occurred after normal working hours in aircraft parked in unsecured areas (not a locked hangar). These thieves are knowledgeable of aircraft systems and are removing King and Garmin series avionics without damaging the aircraft - in most cases. Please be on the lookout for suspisous activity. A complete stack of radios can be removed in less than two minutes. Check your aircraft to determine if any equipment is missing. Report any thefts or suspious activity to your local sherriff and the NCDOT at 919 840 5299. Ask for Steve Merrit or Tom Freeman. A good vigilence is a strong deterent.

Anyone know which North Carolina airports? I'm flying out of Sanford/Lee County (KTTA) with the flying club there.

--
Michael Crowder
:confused:

Easy

Evaluate the risk of the confrontation and take whatever action is needed in order to protect life and property. Be a good witness and remember all of the details that you can. Theives are persons of low esteem typically and have to prey on people at times that are advantageous to them, like when the victim is not there.

I would confront the person and if forced teach them a physical lesson that they will never forget. The typical criminal preys on those that will not defend themselves. That won't be me.

aelkins said:
(that reminds me, I might need to add a pistol and small folding shovel to my W&B documentation.. :cool: )
You mean the pistol and a CCW wasn't included with your FAA paper work? Mine was. ;)

Well to answer the original question and in concurrence (sp?) with the direction I think you were going: It ain't illegal unless you get caught. ;)

SN'S

I'd be great if somebody could ref us the SN's and the PN's of the stolen avionics!!! As far as what to do with the crook.. well... take a picture if you can and call the police... a bunch of radios is not worth your life or a bunch of years in jail... Now... if they "fall down the stairs 8 or 9 times"... it's not my fault.. Promise! :rolleyes:
Best
Brian

Ya If I can avoid losing my rag

I might do the right thing...But its a fuzzly line between reasonable force/citizen's arrest vs going to oil and getting sued for battery!

Unfortunatly I tend to come unglued...Lets hope it doesn't happen.

Frank 7a

Wilgrove in Charlotte was hit about 9 months ago. Half dozen planes lost 430's and a 530. They must have pre-shopped us, got everthing in one night taking nothing else.
I was talking to a local radio shop owner and he told me about one of his customers have a 430 stolen. His insurance paid for a used replacement which he bought a month later from a well known supplier in FL. By serial number it turned out he bought his own radio. FBI became involved.

The smart thieves don't take everything. An example would be to take a box from airplane A, and then steal one from airplane B to put into plane A. Now plane B reports a theft, and the stolen box from plane A never gets recorded and the serial number never raises any red flags. By the time anybody becomes the wiser months or years have passed. If you ever get into your airplane and routes you aren't familiar with are programmed into your GPS's get suspicious.

Ebay avionics

During the airframe building phase of my RV (many years) I use to fantasise about scoring a good deal on a contemporary comm or transp off of Ebay. As Borat says, "Not." I am repeatedly shocked at the prices paid on Ebay for basic comms and transponders. Bidders are paying very nearly the cost of the units new, with a full warrentee!!! It appears to me that avionics theft is very profitable. Contemporary avionics are like cash for thieves. I finally quit wasting time chasing around on Ebay and purchased new units. Ebay is great if you are looking for something the majority does not want... like a manual fuel primer pump!!!

Ok... I'll quit ranting

Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing
Still flyin' my completely manual 1959 C-172

Wow Bryan

i never thought of that. Then again, i don't have a criminal mind. I even have a hard time "convincing" my wife that the "pretty" hooker harnesses came with the finish kit. ;)

lsu-rv said:
i never thought of that. Then again, i don't have a criminal mind. I even have a hard time "convincing" my wife that the "pretty" hooker harnesses came with the finish kit. ;)

In another life an A&P mechanic from the now defunct Flying Country Club at our local airport came in with a complete stack of new King digital radios and wanted them installed in his V-tail Bonanza. His problem was that his boss came in later because one of their club airplanes had it's panel stripped overnight. Since we did all of their work on the club airplanes we had most serial numbers on file so naturally we checked. All of us were surprised to see that the mechanic had done a switcharoo. An interesting side story to this was that the man had to sell his Bonanza to pay a lawyer to try and keep him out of jail and the day that his trial started the new owner ran out of fuel and landed on a parked car at the mall parking lot. This is a highly contested airport and it was getting a lot of airplay at the time. For a plane crash is was really, really neat to see! If you remember stepping on a can that was lying on its side as a kid and having it kind of fold around your foot and clamp on, well this is what the car did to the Bonanza. The gear was still tucked up and the car just caught the plane and didn't let go. Nobody was hurt as far as I know.

Thank God I Live in Texas

No, I'm not glad to live in Texas because I think we are exempt to theft of our hard earned avionics, but because the concealed carry laws make it very clear I can use force to protect "Person and/or Property" :eek:

[ed. text here about killing someone removed. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
if it happens in Texas at night.... watch out

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Of course the Attny fees resulting from the above will cost more than a new panel.

I'm sure we're all just kidding about actually killing a human being over stolen radios, right? I'd be as mad as the next guy, but I'm pretty sure that my life would be forever changed if I killed somebody.

I think the question should be, does the criminal really think HIS life is worth a bunch of stolen radios.

The Innocence of aviation, Why insurance prem's are high

Aviation has been somewhat blessed from "social ills" like criminality by virtue of the small honest community. Airports are also somewhat an oasis from what is outside the perimeter. People that don't belong stick out. Sure there are some nefarious characters, drug runners and thieves. However airports are relatively safe cloistered environments. Part of it was thieves knew or at least use to know, stealing from planes is a Federal Offense, but that does not seem to matter as much any more. You would think with TSA and airport security common increased criminals would stay away.

INSURANCE RATES: The reason I found insurance has gone up on homebuilts is Avionics Thefts and Vandalism. Those are on the rise. When one fancy box that cost $12,000 can be removed with one quarter turn screw, the incentive is there. Also RV's of the mid 80's are not like ones in year 2007. Many RV's today have panels that cost almost as much as whole RV's 20 years ago (day vfr, 150 hp wood prop, home interior/paint).

WHAT TO DO? Well my theory is if you triple lock you canopy and a "pro" thief has an order to fill, targets your bird, it just means they will do more damage getting at it. From the internet I found this common sense list:

Lock your aircraft when you park.
 Do not leave the log books in the aircraft.
 Report suspicious activity to the authorities.
 Keep a list of your serial numbers along with the photos.
 Cockpit covers and sun shields reduce ?prying? eyes from seeing your avionics.
 Check used equipment serial numbers with the national avionics theft clearing house.
 Take photos of the aircraft inside and out, especially the instrument panel. Update photos as panel changes.
 Installing deadbolt locks with pickproof tumblers on all cabin doors reduces the likelihood of locks being pickedor broken.
 Mark the face of your avionics with a distinctive scratch or dab of paint, and check before each flight to prevent ?swapping? of avionics between aircraft.

The hiding is important; if they don't see it, they don't know its there...... If really concerned, leaving the plane unattended at a strange airport for a long period, I'd consider pulling the rack radios out. It takes a minute. If it isn?t there they can't take it. If I know on a trip I?ll park as a transient at a particular airport, I call the local FBO to ask if they have a hanger corner to park in. Often you can find secured spot.

BRINGS BACK MEMEORIES: When I hear about this it makes me sick. It takes me back to when I was a young kid and my bicycle was ripped off at the shopping mall. It was locked up with a cheap lock that could be picked easily. Lesson learned. I've been luck overall, but I know it? a bit of luck with lots of precaution sprinkled with a little paranoia. As pilots at airports we are probably very trusting of others in that environemnt, and most of the time that is fine. However these "HITS" sporadically and without warning.

ISN'T STEALING FROM AN AIRCRAFT A FEDERAL OFFENSE?

a5d9_1.JPG

Last edited: