prkaye

Well Known Member
Just what I feared. The Rapco brake pad rivet tool came from Aircraft Spruce with no instructions. There was the tool, which is basically a screw-actuated vice, and a make and female die. The male die does not fit inside a rapco brake rivet. Also, I had read that the tool could be used to extract old brake pad rivets, but there is no indication how to do this. Any tips??
33duxxi.jpg

Just what I feared. The Rapco brake pad rivet tool came from Aircraft Spruce with no instructions. There was the tool, which is basically a screw-actuated vice, and a make and female die. The male die does not fit inside a rapco brake rivet. Also, I had read that the tool could be used to extract old brake pad rivets, but there is no indication how to do this. Any tips??
33duxxi.jpg

It works well, been using one for years. Here are their instructions:

http://www.rapcoinc.com/pdf/Informational Tips/Rivet Tool Instructions.pdf

Check youtube for videos, I'm sure someone has posted how to use one.

Chris

Arg this is so frustrating. There is not enough clearance to get the punch into the rivet tool with the pad, backplate and rivet in place. See photo... thoughts?
25jb1gh.jpg

For new rivet:
Factory head of tbe rivet against the new pad, in the recessed hole. Looks like yours are upside down.
Mandrel on bottom should be small enough to fit into the rivet hole in the pad. Pad faces down. Looks like your mandrel is too large?
Then use flaring/flattening tool from top.

Last edited:
Look at those directions carefully and it will all make sense. (You will not have both of the tool pieces installed at the same time.) This is a great tool.

I would recommend clamping it in a vice though, it make is so much easier.

To remove old rivet, pad down with no mandrel, smallest diameter piece on top. Screw down and push old rivet out. Shop head will shear off.

Help

Dont you have a buddy that has been there and done that. Make a call, get a bud over and crack a beer. Fast and easy and then you will be good for the next 30 years.

I have learned so much from others...dont be afraid to get some help. It is a 2 minute job.

yeah i watched the video and am following the instructions. The Mandrel fits into the hole on the pad. But with the rivet in the hole and the pad/backplate in palce on the mandel, there is simply not enough clearance to get the punch die in there. See my photo above. I may have to just use the dies in a vice, as suggested. So frustrating when i spent 45 bucks to make this an easy job.