N24YW

Well Known Member
I was wondering where the airports get their tie downs that they place in the concrete when they build thier parking area. Is thier any type of standard or rating that they have to meet? I just wish they would put them a little closer together for the RVing comunity

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa

I have also seen...

...rebar poked through the sides of a jam jar size plastic container.

The rebar is then bent down slightly and sticks out a couple of feet on each side - well encased in the concrete when the container open end is set flush with the final concrete surface.

Works well in dry AZ, but not sure what water and freezing would do in your area....:)

A friends builder used some threaded fittings designed for setting in concrete walls as hoist points. They did not work too well over time due to dirt and rust screwing up the threads.

For spacing, your airport is probably using page 34 of this FAA document with 70 ft spacing and tiedowns 49 ft apart....

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150_5300_13_part2.pdf

At our airpark, we use a much smaller spacing of 40 ft, with tie downs about 20 ft apart. This seems good form most small/medium singles.

Last edited: