Mike D

Well Known Member
Does anyone know for sure that the Rami AV-532 is not capable of receiving the glide slope?

The documentation from rami only notes the VOR. Aircraft spruce mentions this is not for GS, but seems others think it can receive the GS.

So, is anyone actually using it for ILS approach and actually receiving the GS?

Background:
I have a Garmin GNS480 hooked to a GRT Sport. The antenna is a Rami AV-532 with the cable that came with the antenna for the run from the vertical stabilizer to the radio. (Looks like RG-58)

I can receive VOR and localizer but not the glide slope. I suspect it is the antenna, but can't be sure.

The other suspects are the ARINC signal has a loose wire, or user error.

Just learning about IFR and seems there is an issue with the equipment.

Wrong antenna

According to Aircraft Spruce the 532 is VOR Only. U need the 525 if u want to stick with RAMI.

Not sure why Spruce clearly states VOR only, and Rami states VOR/LOC/GS and lists both frquency bands for the AV-532. Can't rember where I saw the Rami data sheet that said VOR/LOC only. So, I have to correct my own post. :eek:
Seems the AV-532 is capable of GS reception.

Seems there is an internal balun for the AV-525, and you need to make one in the cable for the AV-532.
If the balun is not there, could this be the cause of not receiving the GS?? (Will look tomorrow to see if one is there.

Btw, for those building, don't fiberglass the tips on. :)