VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
I'd like to move that Ram ball mount from down low up to that more user-friendly higher locatin, as shown in the pic. But, I'm hesitant to drill holes in that triangular webbing. I worry about compromising structural strength if I do that. Are my concerns unnecessary?

Thanks in advance,
Randy
rammount.jpg

Here’s how I mounted mine. The four 8-32 screws serve as a pilot to keep it centered in the large center hole,with an 1/8” round steel ring/washer slightly larger than the hole with threads taped for the 8-32 screws. With offset of the ram mount it rotates in the large lightning hole giving great adjustability.
112F47FF-64FC-4B60-9442-324D721F6A9C.jpeg

I used the double stick pad attachment and stuck it to the side of the inside glare shield/exterior body right above and forward of that triangle. It works great and is well out of the way but useful too.

Ok, because I found .02 inches (very thin) and .04 inches (still sounds thin to me)...and sorry, I not a metric guy, can't relate much to millimeters.

I am using RAM's magnetic mount in that basic area in my -9A (on the left side). Seems to work fine holding my iPad Mini and stays in place, unless I bump it with my knee getting into the plane. So far, it stays put in turbulence. I've been using it this way for a tad over a year.

It looks the same as your current mount, but magnetic.