flybill7

Well Known Member
I'm going to need to lift the tail of my RV-7 for calibration of the Dynon fuel capacity, and also for weighing.

I went to just lift it myself and immediately backed off -- seems very heavy and I really don't want to throw my back out.

How do folks lift the tails of their taildraggers? Any good techniques? Can someone recommend a good tool that makes it an easy one man job?

Thanks in advance, Bill

Here's another vote for the Tail Mate! Louise and I bought one for ourselves for Christmas, and while it does seem a bit pricey, and looks like something that you can build for yourself, that is only true if you already have a welder and the skills to use one. We justified the price by looking at what it would cost in medical bills if one of us threw our back out lifting either of our planes....it was no contest looked at that way!

Paul

I'm going to need to lift the tail of my RV-7 for calibration of the Dynon fuel capacity, and also for weighing.

I went to just lift it myself and immediately backed off -- seems very heavy and I really don't want to throw my back out.

How do folks lift the tails of their taildraggers? Any good techniques? Can someone recommend a good tool that makes it an easy one man job?

Thanks in advance, Bill
Bill,

As one who has suffered with back problems for a very long time, I certainly understand how you feel. As you know, we learn to modify how we move around...even what type chair we sit in lest we throw the back out once again and become incapacitated for days at a time. Very inconvenient.

The tail (or the nose) of the airplane need not be so heavy. You can easily offset a great deal of weight by strategically positioning 3 or 4 lead shot, even sand bags on the airframe. My engine stand on rollers serves double duty as a tail stand.

2dri168.jpg

29ntb1u.jpg

I also thought it was 'pricey', so I built one out of 2 X 4 lumber. It was large, strong, had wheels, a hand crank from a boat trailer, and rolled up a ramp on rollers. I'm pretty sure it would have easily lifted a Beech 18.... It was a monster, and took up too much room in my hangar. It ended up costing me about $200.00!! I found a tail-mate on this website for sale and bought it. All that wood from my 'home-built' tail-mate now makes up part of the loft we built in our hangar. Find a real tail-mate used, or spend the money for a new one - you won't be sorry. You might be able to go halves with another RV on your airport.

Scott

Bill,
The tail (or the nose) of the airplane need not be so heavy. You can easily offset a great deal of weight by strategically positioning 3 or 4 lead shot, even sand bags on the airframe.

Great idea -- simplicity itself! Thanks, Bill

Wood is good

I also thought it was 'pricey', so I built one out of 2 X 4 lumber.

One reason to raise the tail on a taildragger RV is to level the aircraft for swinging the whiskey compass, and for calibrating the electronic compass if you have one. Especially if you have the remote compass mounted on the empennage deck, you'll want to keep ferrous material away from the tail when you do that.

A wood (or TIG welded aluminum or stainless steel) tail jack would probably be better than the mild steel tail-mate one in that case...

--Paul

I like the idea of using a balance of forces to raise and lower noses and tails, but I think I can hang on the prop of my -8 and the tail won't come off the ground....it would take a lot of shot on the cowl to make it light enough to make a difference with the awkward lift!

I also agree with the sawhorse idea - but you still have to get the tail Up on the sawhorse - which is what we do for maintenance work - use the tail mate for the lifting, then support it on wood.

Paul

engine hoise

Why not just use your engine hoist to pick up the tail..... Uh... you DO have an engine hoist don't you?

Why not just use your engine hoist to pick up the tail..... Uh... you DO have an engine hoist don't you?

Good idea. No engine hoist -- I just had my wife lift the engine while I put the bolts in. ;)

Actually, I borrowed an engine hoist to hang the engine. Probably one out at the airport I can borrow.