SteelMike

Well Known Member
Howdy all,

Here’s my question: I’m a renter, and I started renting a 2 car garage in my apartment building for my RV build. I started renting in about June, and needless to say, living in Southern California, it hasn’t rained since then. Until last night.

As you can see below, a bunch of my finished parts are hanging from the ceiling of my garage by padded straps.

build%20091.jpg

As it turns out, when it rains the ceiling of the garage leaks – and pretty significantly, at that. Here’s what I’m thinking about:

1. The leaks aren’t threatening any of my electrical equipment or anything truly sensitive, but they are dripping on the HS and Right Elevator. It doesn’t rain that often, so re-doing the roof isn’t necessary (plus, I rent so I ain’t putting that much work into the place!).
2. A simple, and I think reasonable solution would be to throw some plastic over the pieces or tarp them. Is this an okay solution? Remember, it really doesn’t rain that often. The thing that worries me about this is that Van’s always warns you to get the aluminum parts out of the paper wrapping because the paper wrapping attracts moisture. Any thoughts?
3. The parts got pretty soaked last night. Do I have anything to worry about? Planes fly through rain all the time and the insides of my parts are primed, so I’m not going to get my dander up unless someone tells me I have something to be afraid of.

Thanks a bunch, as always!

MB

Last edited:
I'd drape a peice of plastic over them, and leave the bottom part open so it doesn't retain moisture. Shouldnt hurt anything tho. Are you on the coast?

Remove the blue plastic

I would take the blue plastic off the surfaces. I did the same thing leaving the plastic on and corrosion had started to form by the time I took them down, I know it doesn't affect everybody, but why risk it.

Blue plastic off? Really? Please don't take offense, but can I get another opinion on that?

Yes - I do live pretty close to the coast, 2-3 miles, maybe.

I take it that I don't have to get worried and like, um, scrap the HS and elevator just because they got wet?

Thanks...

Another opinion.

Yes, remove the blue plastic. If you live in a humid area, moisture can become trapped under the plastic and cause corrosion.
No worries over a one time rain, but long term exposure can cause damage.

Last edited:
You will also find it is a lot easier to remove the blue plastic now, than if it has set around for a few years.

you said you're renting, right?

have the land lord / apartment community fix the gripe. It's their responsibility as the owner.

Circulate the Air

Since it is very apparent that you have moisture in your shop, you do have the possiblity of corrosion in the long term. You can lessen the chances by circulating the air.
When the weather is good, open any windows and doors. Also, buy a cheap fan, and keep it on to circulate the air.
At one time I was in a hangar that was very damp during the winter. The moisture actually leached up through the concrete floor. I managed to keep the plane (not my RV, it was my ex's 152) dry by flying it on regular basis, but unbeknownst to me my tools took it in the shorts! The following year, I kept a fan going and when I was there, I opened the doors and used my balloon inflator fan to really move the air. No more corrosion of the tools!
Good luck!

Nah...

...it's an old South bay rental house garage, and not sealed at all.

I bet there is plenty of circulation from all of the gaps around....:)
Just don't let the moisture stay in contact with any skin.

It doesn't rain that much in S. Calif...

gil A - lived in old houses with leaky garages in Mar Vista and WLA for 25 years...:)

Since it is very apparent that you have moisture in your shop, you do have the possiblity of corrosion in the long term. You can lessen the chances by circulating the air.
When the weather is good, open any windows and doors. Also, buy a cheap fan, and keep it on to circulate the air.
At one time I was in a hangar that was very damp during the winter. The moisture actually leached up through the concrete floor. I managed to keep the plane (not my RV, it was my ex's 152) dry by flying it on regular basis, but unbeknownst to me my tools took it in the shorts! The following year, I kept a fan going and when I was there, I opened the doors and used my balloon inflator fan to really move the air. No more corrosion of the tools!
Good luck!

Blue plastic off

Get rid of the blue! I've removed all of the blue covering my parts. The parts are in areas (waiting for final assembly) where they won't get scratched up. If you plan to polish and not paint, keep them covered with a porous material under the plastic so it can breath and be protected form scratches and dings. Hit a yard sale or two and pick up some bed spreads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got It...

...it's an old South bay rental house garage, and not sealed at all.

I bet there is plenty of circulation from all of the gaps around....:)
Just don't let the moisture stay in contact with any skin.

It doesn't rain that much in S. Calif...

gil A - lived in old houses with leaky garages in Mar Vista and WLA for 25 years...:)

Just my two cents, best of luck on this. It worked in rainy N. CA.