prkaye

Well Known Member
For constructing the aileron control stops, the plans show making them out of 1"x1" aluminum angle. Both sides have to be cut down, and the plans show finishing the edge with a radius (I forget, but think it was 1/8").
Question - how do I do this? Is there a special tool?

Radius

All I ever used was a good file to do all my radii.

They don't have to be perfect, just smooth. IE, you can run your finger over the edge and not feel any roughness.

The radius serves two purposes.

1. Releases stress in the metal, preventing future cracks.

2. Give you less opportunity to bleed on your airplane. :)

Phil, there is a tool made to check radii--------mine looks like a set of feeler gauges, does both inside and outside radius.

Machine tool supply store should have it.

You can also drill a hole in a piece of scrap, then cut into the hole to make your own gauge. Remember drill size is 2x radius.

For what you are doing however, the TLAR method should work.

TLAR=that looks about right.

Mike

Thanks for the tips guys. I figured this radius wasn't critical, so I will indeed use a file and scotchbrite and the TLAR method.

A cheap drill or wire gauge can be found at your local hardware store to use as a template.

Rgds,
Mark
RV8A Started HS
Bonners Ferry

Phil-
I wouldn't even both with your aileron control stops until you have the wings on the plane. Getting them right the first time without seeing what both ailerons are doing at the same time would be pure luck. You have to make sure that you get the proper up and down travel on your ailerons and can only do this when both wings are on at once. Just because you have the proper up travel on one wing will not necessarily mean that you have the proper down travel on the other. Seems strange, I know, but true. I made my first set according to the measurements but had to remake them once or twice when the wings were on.
Good luck.