mlwynn

Well Known Member
The F 848 gussett reinforces the junction between the upper longeron and the center section ribs. The gussett has cutouts where it nests with the bulkhead to allow for the fluting. The instructions say to "radius" the gussett so that it fits it. I took that to mean file one side so that it fits in better. The question is, to make it fit in exactly, I would have to remove a lot of metal--enough that I am unsure as to whether or not I would be compromising the structural integrety of the part.

Here is a picture of where it sits at present.

[

Is this nesting well enough or do I need to really make it sit flush? Is is appropriate or better to try to bend some curve into the little fingers so they sit better?

Thanks

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage
San Ramon,CA

fuselageassembly01415lg6.jpg

You will run into this situation on all 6 gussets in that area. You need to radius the edge of the gussets that nest up against the radius in the center section assembly. The idea is to have the gussets sit flat without any riding condition or gap occuring between the gussets and the flange of the center section assembly. Since the holes are already prepunched in the gussets, you know in advance how much material you can safely remove....up to the minimum e.d. on the holes though you probably won't even get close to trimming that much material off.

Last edited: