John C

Well Known Member
These skins wrap around the frames at the lower corners. The skins are not bent enough to match the frame contours.

The mismatch seems to much to just force into place and rivet.

What is the best way increase the bend for a better fit? Or did everyone just accept the radius that was formed at the mgf?

Last edited:
At page 10-02 you have to break the corners of the F-1281 L & R skins.
I did that with the cleaveland egde roller;

EF60-Large.jpg

After doing this the fit is o.k.

See also;

Tailcone forum
Tailcone tips Jim Cone
Marty's tailcone

Besides that I did not alter the radius of the skins and everything worked out fine.

10-07.JPG

Last edited:
Joeri, thanks for the information. I also received a note from Ken Scott at Vans. He said that the 8 feet section would be difficult to bend and there had been no reports of problems. So I will just strap it down and build on.

John, my skins went around the frames nicely. You should be able to cleco it altogether with minimal force. I guess you have hooked your J stiffeners in correctly? If your skins are not the same as the frames there is something wrong. I think breaking the edges of the skins is not required at the base. Maybe can you post a picture when you have it clecoed together?

Julian
RV 12 316
Tailcone complete

Thanks Julian.

It seems that the radius needed to be about 1/3 of what came from the factory. I had it all clecoed together and it did pull in but the ends (unsupported) were still bowed out. I assumed that with all frames and skins, it would be ok but I just did not like the springback tension if there was an easy way to get rid of it (ie. bend the skin more).

Since no one else has had a problem, I will use the skins as sent.