praterdj

Well Known Member
I?m in the process of laying out my panel for my RV-8 and I?m looking for advice. I?m right handed and I am trying to decide which side to have the radios located. Most of the panels I have looked at have the radios on the left; I feel it would be easier to have them on the right so I can operate them with my right hand. I also realize the panel is not that wide and I could ?reach over? even if they were on the left.

I know this is petty but I would like to hear others opinions. What side did you mount yours on and are you satisfied with ease of operation?

I guess the main benefit of L sided is that you never have to take your hand off the stick to tune the radios. I'm planning on having mine on the L side.

T.

Not a huge Deal!

You're right Don - this is probably not a huge deal, and there could be endless debate on the subject. Most important, in my opinion, is what works best for you - build a mock up, if you can, and try twiddling knobs with either hand. Most people fly equally well with either hand, but fine motor control items are sometimes clumsy with the non-dominant side. And many folks are ambidextrous enough that it makes no difference at all. I made a few comments on this on a previous thread :

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5213&page=3&pp=10&highlight=Cockpit+Tour

Again, in my opinion, there isn't a single right or wrong answer to this one - just what works best for you!

Paul

TShort said:
I guess the main benefit of L sided is that you never have to take your hand off the stick to tune the radios. I'm planning on having mine on the L side.

T.

Yes I think you will find that this is the main reason for left side. Anything you may have to fiddle with, particularly on instruments, should be left or center if able.
A/P controls, radios etc.

Best,

TShort said:

T.
That is only if you are right-handed. If you are a lefty, you would probably prefer the radios on your right. Me, I am ambidextrous. Although predominantly a righty, I fly with my left. I can fly with either hand, but I feel I fly better with the left. Plus, I can turn dials, push buttons, flip switches, and Write a lot quicker with my right hand.

In the middle down low as you can go. Works well if you only have a com (or nav/com) and a transponder to stack. Otherwise, justify to your own needs.

In the FWIW department...

My Citabria had the throttle on the left but radios on the right. There were times when descending to land in moderate chop I found reaching accross my body with my left hand to tune the radios mildly annoying. Some would say that you can just switch hands temporarily, OK sure, but there are times when you may not want to. It's your choice, but I would design my panel to be as safe and ergonomic as possible.

Last edited:
Opinions will be all over the place, but mine is that you put the radios, GPS, etc. on the side of your dominant hand. Pushing buttons and turning knobs is much easier with that hand, particularly in bumpy conditions.

Radios

USAF mil-spec standards specify coms boxes on the left, PTT on throttle and no switches on stick apart from trim and weapons! I think, just to be different, the US Navy standard puts coms boxes on the right...?

So, do what you like!

RV-4 VH-PIO
250hrs

garnt.piper said:
USAF mil-spec standards specify coms boxes on the left, PTT on throttle and no switches on stick apart from trim and weapons! I think, just to be different, the US Navy standard puts coms boxes on the right...?

...And the US Army probably says that the Observer should stow the semaphore flags under his wicker seat..... :p

Radios...Left or Right Side?

Ask any airline pilot who instructs and it constantly swapping seats and has to tune radios with each hand that you will quickly become adept at left-hand tuning.

With the radios on the left, you can use either hand on the ground as you choose pre-takeoff tasks. Once airbourne it is very nice NOT to swap hands to fly and tune radios. If you have an AP then either hand comes back into consideration.

Bottom line: radio tuning is a simple mechanical task and is quickly learned. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I know that whatever I decide will work fine. I can and do fly with my right and left hands but I am more comforatable tuning with my right. I like the idea of the center mount. I may try to work that into a palnel layout.

Again it will work either way but I'm trying to think things through as much as possible.

Donald,

Kitplanes magazine recently ran a series of articles about cockpit layout and design.

One of the main things they touched on was radio placement. As has been suggested by previous posts on this topic, they recommended that the radios were installed in a position where you did not have to take your hand off the stick to change radio frequencies (wherever that may be for you).

One thing they mentioned to consider, in the case of a single seat (front seat) cockpit (like the 8) with a throttle on the left was that if you are to change frequencies with your left hand that a lot of radio manufacturers only make radios with frequency change knobs on the right. Therefore as you change the frequency your hand may block the frequency display making it hard to read.

I'm not saying that this is the case with all radios, however depending on the brand you intend to install it may be a consideration.

Regardless of this, I still intend to install my radios on the right for the reason of not taking your hand off the stick I will be flying with my right hand.

If I can locate the articles I will post a link.

Hi Donald,
I have Panel Planner and if it will help I'll make you two layouts, one left and one right full size so you can tape them up and see what feels more comfortable. I have made several layouts for my own panel and it really helps to see it full size. Just message me or E-mail me with what you want in the panel and I will fix you up.

Ironflight said:
...And the US Army probably says that the Observer should stow the semaphore flags under his wicker seat..... :p

Paul
Actually, I think they simply drop a hankerchef with the note from the tethered observation balloon! ;)
Charlie Kuss

Since I flew a RV-6 first, I got used to flying with my left hand. I can handle the small knobs and buttons of the radios better with my right hand, so I put my radios on the right side in my Rocket. I would not change a thing.