bkc3921

Well Known Member
Mounting the trays for my Garmin Stack..(GMA240 top, SL30 MIddle GTX327 Bottom)..Due to space and layout... is it essential that the stack (if well supported) be attached to the panel? Can the tray stack be independent of the panel, with only the bezels of the avionics holding tight against the panel? I was curious about any vibration issues..again, this assumes that the stack is well supported front and back..Also, if I have to attach to the panel, what is the prevailing opinion..platenuts and countersunk screws, or simply rivet the angle to the panel and attach from the rear...? Any thoughts appreciated..Thanks in advance.

Having installed many radio trays in aircraft, I think it would be extremely prudent to mount the trays to a piece of angle that's affixed to the panel. It would be somewhat difficult to get the same snug fit you'd achieve by mounting it directly to the panel Two pieces of angle riveted or tapped and screwed from the front looks great. It allows you to position the radios so the faceplates are exactly even with each other while the mounting hole positions will vary on the angle. IMHO it is the easiest and most effective way of mounting radio trays.

Mounting the trays for my Garmin Stack..(GMA240 top, SL30 MIddle GTX327 Bottom)..Due to space and layout... is it essential that the stack (if well supported) be attached to the panel?

Yes - Use an angle on the panel to support each side of the trays.

Can the tray stack be independent of the panel, with only the bezels of the avionics holding tight against the panel?

No - this would not be a good idea for a number and variety of reasons.

I was curious about any vibration issues..again, this assumes that the stack is well supported front and back..Also, if I have to attach to the panel, what is the prevailing opinion..platenuts and countersunk screws, or simply rivet the angle to the panel and attach from the rear...? Any thoughts appreciated..Thanks in advance.

Either screw/bolt or rivet it to the panel-any of those solutions are perfectly acceptable. We prefer typically to flush rivet the angles to the panel and when filled/painted the rivets disappears completely. Platenuts can be a wee bit difficult but are ok if you make sure that they don't interfere with any of the tray mounting screws.

Additionally, your SL-30 will protrude through the back of your sub panel (unless it's a 3/4/8) so you'll need to keep that in mind as well. Trevors advice is spot on!

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks

Thanks Stein for the advice..I was finally able to find a solution that allowed me to mount to the panel..However, raspberries to Garmin for making 3 trays..all of slightly different widths, designs, and lengths..I thought for a minute it was made by the government!!