RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am building the -8A and there is not brace at the bottom of the instrument panel. When I test fit the panel I can press down on the radio stack and this make the lower part of the panel bulge out some.

My concern is the weight of the radios and the length of the Garmin 430, I put it up high enough to clear the cross brace at the back and I have nearly a half inch space there but my worry is under a G-load the stack will sag and the panel will flex. Any one know how much this area might flex. Should I attach a brace between the cross brace and the radio stack?

Thanks for any help, there is a picture taken from the left side, showing the clearance I have. the one antenna connector is a 90 degree version. It will make installing the panel a pain to have to attach a brace but my guess is that is the best safeguard against possible sagging under G-loads.

Cheers

o70i0z.jpg

Braces

I made 2 braces between the panel bottom lip and the cross brace a few inches behind. Not installed yet, but an attempt to solve the same problem.

Here's what I did to eliminate that.

I posted it here before but can't find the thread.

I put a couple of plate nuts under the brace and held it down with screws. Very removeable.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
I agree that the aft end of the stack needs some support - I just used a diagonal angle brace from the back of the stack to the top of the panel. I didn't want to attach the back of the stack to the fuselage cross-brace because I wanted the panel easily removable. I've had no problems with panel flex in all the hours and years of flying.

Just one solution.

Paul

There's lots of options on how to keep the radios from bouncing around. This is how I supported my radio trays.

panelout2.jpg

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Easily Removable

I agree that the aft end of the stack needs some support - I just used a diagonal angle brace from the back of the stack to the top of the panel. I didn't want to attach the back of the stack to the fuselage cross-brace because I wanted the panel easily removable. I've had no problems with panel flex in all the hours and years of flying.

Just one solution.

Paul

I know I will fall into the trap of panel upgrades. I wonder what you did to make your panel "easily removable" I know Luca in Italy ran all the wires to 2 cannon plugs. Did you do the same? My thought was I could remove the backing plates after the D-180 (center) comes out and pull the panel that way without having to go through any plugs.

So any tips on making things removable. I figure one would have to take out most of the heavy item just to set the panel in place.

I did the same as both Pauls. My bracket looks very similar to Paul Danclovic so no need to post mine. The upper end of the brace uses a screw thru the panel, an instrument, the brace and a nylock nut. I have a traditional instrument "6 Pack" mounted very tightly, so no room between for a brace.
My whole panel can be removed and lowered or brought slightly back for maintenance. I wish some of my wires had a longer service loop :eek: but I thought it was OK when I made them....

I know I will fall into the trap of panel upgrades. I wonder what you did to make your panel "easily removable" I know Luca in Italy ran all the wires to 2 cannon plugs. Did you do the same? My thought was I could remove the backing plates after the D-180 (center) comes out and pull the panel that way without having to go through any plugs.

So any tips on making things removable. I figure one would have to take out most of the heavy item just to set the panel in place.

I routinely remove mine with the heavy items installed - I have a number of harness disconnects and appropriate service loops, so I can unbolt the panel and pull it out a little to set it in my lap. It's easy to hand it out to someone from that point. (I actually can do it by myself with some minor gymnastics)

Paul

My solution

Kind of like some of the above posts, I made a bracket that holds the bottom of the radio stack to the cross brace. I figure I can pull the 496 out which is in the middle bottom of the panel and then remove the screw that holds the bracket to the cross brace. The other side of the radio stack is a diagonal piece of angle that support the radio stack. This works great, the back of the radio stack is rock solid.

@Paul

I understand now how you pull out your panel, this is kind of how I have it planned, my panel wires will have a large loop held by an easily reachable cushion clamp. The way I plan it I an undo that clamp and pull the panel into my lap and undo what I need to pull it out of the plane. Any panel modifications will be years down the road.

My bracket

2vx1t20.jpg

Thanks for all the inputs