tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I searched the archives and did not find anything on this point. I am building my radio stack and cutting my panel. I am installing the G327 transponder. I might like to swap it out for a 330 later in order to get traffic, if I win the lotto.

I have read that the 327 and the 330 use different trays. My question is this.. what modifications to my radio stack, or the cut in my panel should I make in order to allow a simple change later from a 327 to a 330?

Thanks

The 330 tray is longer, but same panel size.

I know this only 'cause I bought a used 327 and it was accompanied by a 330 tray. :confused:

I searched the archives and did not find anything on this point. I am building my radio stack and cutting my panel. I am installing the G327 transponder. I might like to swap it out for a 330 later in order to get traffic, if I win the lotto.

I have read that the 327 and the 330 use different trays. My question is this.. what modifications to my radio stack, or the cut in my panel should I make in order to allow a simple change later from a 327 to a 330?

Thanks

As Gary mentioned, the tray is a few inches longer.

I would take a look at the Navworx ADS600-B instead of upgrading to the 330. Then you'll get traffic and weather. Just check to see the ADSB coverage in your part of the country.

thanks

Thanks for that input. Man, that tray is indeed long, I don't know that it would fit in the bottom position of my radio stack without hitting the z bar behind the panel.

I will keep my options open for traffic and adsb stuff.

The z bar brace behind the panel on an -8 can be an issue for mounting long radios. We had to notch the brace and add some extruded angle on the top of the bar to reinforce it to make clearance to fit a 430 in the bottom center of the panel.
Lesson learned is to measure *everything* before cutting your radio cutouts in the front of the panel. :eek: