prkaye

Well Known Member
The SL-30 is 11 inches deep, according to Aircraft Spruce. The subpanel sits only 9 inches back from the panel. How on earth are you supposed to put something like an SL-30 in an RV? Is this depth typical of most NAV and NAV/COM units??

Phil,

Either slam it in there with a really big hammer, or do what everyone else does - simply cut a hole! :) This might be the first hole you cut in the sub-panel but it likely won't be the last!

Cheers,
Stein

Here is a picture to give you an idea. Both my SL-30(bottom) and GNS-430(top) had to penetrate the subpanel.

Get the trays ahead of time if you can.

subpanel.jpg

Thanks! i guess cutting a hole is the obvous answer! Actually that makes sense... if I cut the holes just right, the subpanel will provide additional support for the back end of the radios.

You'll need to rivet aluminum angles there..

....Phil. Angle under the lower tray for support, not just the sharp edge of the bulkhead.

Regards,

Phil,

Either slam it in there with a really big hammer, or do what everyone else does - simply cut a hole! :) This might be the first hole you cut in the sub-panel but it likely won't be the last!

Cheers,
Stein

And the gap is smaller on a -6 :)