walkman

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about installing a skyradar d permanently mounted with external antennas. Is there any reason the $17 TED transponder antennas from ACS would not work well (one for each band)?

Do I need rg-400 or is -58 ok?

Need two?

Pretty sure I need 2 antenna, one for 978 and one for 1090.

So, two of these or is there a different one for 1090?

Hey Walkman, get in touch with Stripes. He just installed two of the 17 dollar transponder antennaes for his D2 and said they work great. He put one on each wing root cover on the bottom.

He used the same antenna's for both freq's and said he get's all kinds of towers..

Hey Walkman, get in touch with Stripes. He just installed two of the 17 dollar transponder antennaes for his D2 and said they work great. He put one on each wing root cover on the bottom.

He used the same antenna's for both freq's and said he get's all kinds of towers..

:eek: That is a good tidbit!

Pretty sure I need 2 antenna, one for 978 and one for 1090.

So, two of these or is there a different one for 1090?

Hi, just wondering which antenna did you end up using and if it is working reliably and as expected?

Two 17 dollar antenna's

Here's a photo of the one's I installed. Got them from my usual all things avionics supply store,, SteinAir, for about 17 bucks each. Used RG400 and BNC connectors. Stein also sell's a converter that connects the BNC/RMA for the plug on the SkyRadar D2. These were the most expensive component, about 18 bucks each.

These work great in this placement. Where I live with the stock D2 black antennae's I would get a couple stations through about 2000 feet AGL. Now I get 5 at 1000 feet.

These are mounted on the left wing fairing, just behind the left gear leg. Spaced about 4 inches apart in line fore and aft.

10498569023_c4a3d73d87_b.jpg

Here's a photo of the one's I installed. Got them from my usual all things avionics supply store,, SteinAir, for about 17 bucks each. Used RG400 and BNC connectors. Stein also sell's a converter that connects the BNC/RMA for the plug on the SkyRadar D2. These were the most expensive component, about 18 bucks each.

These work great in this placement. Where I live with the stock D2 black antennae's I would get a couple stations through about 2000 feet AGL. Now I get 5 at 1000 feet.

These are mounted on the left wing fairing, just behind the left gear leg. Spaced about 4 inches apart in line fore and aft.

10498569023_c4a3d73d87_b.jpg

Awesome and thanks for the info and pix.

now I am debating between Don's antenna or the cheaper verison. its only money, right :)

I know Don makes a great product, but I just can't see how they could work any better than these.

How many more ADSB towers do you need. A altitude in the southeast I now routinely get 8 or more.

I have not gotten around to installing mine yet, it's on the list for this winter, but I purchased the delta pop antenna. I have not figured out how to run the rg400 yet, I'm running out of space :D

I did find a crimp on smc connector for coax cable including rg400. Have not installed yet, but they look like hey will work well, and much cheaper than the converters.

Google around a bit. I think they were around $7.