Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
First the video because I think you can go there directly (we will see) the PPT file I will have to give directions to. The video source is from the cockpit of Russell and Rhea Sherwood's airplane Race #84 in the race at Abilene, Texas (Last year - this year it is back at the alternating site, Dyess AFB). The video is especially good because it shows not only an actual high speed run around the course but a couple of incidents that should be noted - like GPS units do fail. One pilot gave up and returned to base but another pulled out a back up but commented later that they knew where they were going so - no problem. Pilotage and dead reckoning still work just fine.

I tried to go direct to the video but the response was this video is not available. Anyway, I'll direct you to the location of the power point file that has a link that did work.

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SARL-Racers

Click on messages

Click on message 7072

Scroll down to the attached file "Race Tips for Newbies -101-master.pps" and click on it and the file will be downloaded to your computer (well at least it was to mine).

Locate and play the file

On the second page of the powerpoint presentation file is a link to the video. Click on that link and watch and listen closely. After the video you can use your mouse to proceed through the PPT file for some information that I think is very good. I know this file is based on what Sam Hoskins put together to help prospective local fliers in southern Illinois understand how to go about flying a cross country race.

Now I'm going to go try this again. (It worked and is worth the trouble - don't forget to go back to the power point file and click your way through it after you watch the video.)

Bob Axsom

Last edited: