decathlon737

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Does anyone know if the SPD-1 controller can be configured to operate at full speed during pattern work and slow speed during cruise? Can a micro switch be wire into SPD-1 to give full speed or is a set and forget deal?
Thanks,
Bill Woods

The speed control is a set and forget, one speed thing. However, some people have used a micro switch to simply bypass it and hence provide full voltage in certain phases of flight.

Yes, you can use a switch to select high speed or low speed. I did this using a toggle switch in the stick grip (a RAC G207). I use the other toggle switch to turn trim circuit off. Don't think I would do it that way again as occasionally I find that I have hit the toggle switches on the end of the grip and changed the setting.

Anyone have a schematic on how to bypass speed controller with a micro switch? I'm drawing a blank.
Thanks,
Bill

I mounted a small roller switch that contacts one of the flap arms. When the flaps are deployed the servo travels at full speed for a quicker response at slow flight speeds. When retracted the speed servo is engaged and the servo travels at slow speed for improved trim control at high flight speeds.

This setup works great on the ground but is not proven in the air yet. I still have a few months of work to go...

Robert Scott
RV9A
Getting closer...............

Just for the insertion of opinion, I don't feel like my 9A has any need for different speeds of trim. I have the speed control adjusted to where it feels fine to me in all phases (70hrs now).

Here are some pictures of my installation.

Includes the switch for up and flap position also.

installed in center housing.

The other end of the clevis/rod is attached to the flap control tube with an adel clamp.
Notice that I drilled a long rivet for the clevis pin, so that it would hit the switch for the flap up position.

Kent

Last edited:
Limit switch

Kent,

Can you tell me the specifics on the limit switch you used in your install? Manufacturer, NO or NC, Model number, etc.?