Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
So I've gotten myself thoroughly confused here...maybe someone can help me out...

I have a GMA340 audio panel, with a harness supplied by Stein. It has two sets of twisted pairs (white and black) for the PTT switches.

I have the Ray Allen 207 stick grip for the pilot side, with the 4 switches for trim control, and the Ray Allen trim servos for pitch and roll.

I looked at the schematics from RAC for this stick grip and the servos, and it shows ground connected through all 4 trim switches' NC sides, thence to the NO side of the PTT; it shows +12V through all 4 trim switches'; and then individual wires from the trim buttons to the servos:

http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACmedia/instructionsG2grip.pdf

My question...can I use the black (ground) of the harness' PTT pair for all 5 switches? Or do I need to use a separate ground for the trim switches, and just use the PTT pair for the PTT switch *only* on the stick grip? (I know I'll have to run a +12V to all the trim switches' NO).

Second question...the servos have 3 wires coming *back* for the potentiometer...orange, green and blue. What the heck do I connect these to for the Skyview????

Any help would be MOST appreciated...maybe it's the lateness of the hour and the fact that I'm tired and sore from crawling under the cockpit upside down and twisted up *again* today :), but I'm fairly confused on what to do here...

TIA...

Steve

Can help with the skyview.

I don't know anything about your ray allen grip. What I do know is they usually want you to keep PTT grounds seperate from other normal grounds in your system. Can you run two, normally open, wires from your grip to the PTT wiring for the radio?

As far as the Skyview I think your confusing something. There are no poteniometer wires for the sky view auto pilot. Are these wires from the grip or the servos? The servos get four "network wires". Then power, red, ground, black, and one wire to the grip for disengage, yellow. The yellow disengage wire gets grounded to disengage.

I just got my skyview auto pilot working. It's works really well. I'm fine tunning it and works better than I ever thought it would. If you still have questions you can give me a call. PM me and send your phone number, or I'll send you mine.

Question 2: Use the Skyview EMS-220 DB37 connector..

See section 7-36 of Dynon's install guide.. (link attached)..
http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/Install_Guides/SkyView Installation Guide.pdf
"Trim and Flaps Position Potentiometers
Position potentiometers may be connected to any general purpose input pin on the SV‐EMS‐220?s DB37 and must be calibrated according to the instructions found in the EMS Sensor Calibration Section. The number of position potentiometers in any installation is limited by the number of unused general purpose input pins on the SV‐EMS‐220?s DB37 connector. The tables in the Example Engine Sensor and Transducer Installations contain recommended input pins for position potentiometers. Dynon Avionics does not sell trim or flaps position sensors. These are normally included with, or added onto, their respective servos. Most flap and trim sensors are potentiometers (variable resistors) which require power and ground inputs, and supply an output that is a function of position. These potentiometers come in a variety of resistance ranges, but are typically 1 kΩ, 5 kΩ, 10 kΩ, and 20 kΩ. All of these values will work properly with the SkyView, as there is a calibration required. Connect the +5 volt Auxiliary pin from the SV‐EMS‐220?s DB37 to the +5 volt input on your trim/flap position sensor. Connect the ground input on the sensor to a ground common to the SV‐EMS‐220?s
signal ground. Connect the output of the sensor to the desired general purpose input. For physical installation, refer to the instructions that came with your position sensor. If you are using the output from a Ray Allen servo or sensor, connect its white/orange wire to the SV‐EMS‐220?s +5 volt Auxiliary pin (DB37, pin 18), its white/blue wire to ground, and its white/green wire to the general purpose input of choice. Trim and flaps position potentiometers must be calibrated. Your SkyView display utilizes onscreen wizards that help you do this. Go to the EMS Calibration Menu to access these wizards (SETUP MENU > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > EMS CALIBRATION)."

Richard...I'm not talking about the SV autopilot servos. I'm talking about the *trim* servos. WenEng...thanks, I must have looked that section over a half dozen times and somehow missed the connection info (doh!). That's what I needed...