JohnR

Well Known Member
I started working on some rudder parts tonight and the plans call for a part number R405-PD which I don't seem to have. I do have an R409 PD which appears to be the correct part with some of the holes that the plans call for me to drill already in it.

Is R409 PD the same part as R405 PD but just fabbed a litle further by Van's? Anyone know?:confused: If so, does this happen often? Just want to make sure don't jump the gun and use something I shouldn't.

Thanks,

R-409 is listed as a fiberglass rudder tip. The 405 looks like a simple piece of alum. angle but with a lot of work done to it. It has a unique shape so I am sure you have the right piece.

You can also check some other part numbers here on "the list":

http://vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt

You can: right click,save as, I put a date on the name too and you have "the list."

If you look at the list you can see how much money that prepunching cost you. It didn't used to come as anything but blank angle stock. It was a lot of work and the new parts are worth it.

Go here to Dan's site:

http://www.rvproject.com/20011001.html

Go to fifth and sixth pictures down.

Last edited:
The part in Dan's photo looks like the one that is marked as R409 PD so I guess it must have just been mismarked which is what I suspected. Just being cautious.

I knew about the list just never even thought of lookign on it for the part number. :eek: I'll do that in the future. Thanks.

JohnR said:
I started working on some rudder parts tonight and the plans call for a part number R405-PD which I don't seem to have. I do have an R409 PD which appears to be the correct part with some of the holes that the plans call for me to drill already in it.

Is R409 PD the same part as R405 PD but just fabbed a litle further by Van's? Anyone know?:confused: If so, does this happen often? Just want to make sure don't jump the gun and use something I shouldn't.

Thanks,

Since it seems you're just at about this point in the kit, one bit of advice...when you trim the rudder horn brace, don't trim it to the center of the trim notches. Trim to the outside edge of those notches (i.e. don't trim too much off). I trimmed to the outside edge and it was a perfect fit with no futher work...if you go to the center of the holes, you may end up short on edge distance.

jcoloccia said:
Since it seems you're just at about this point in the kit, one bit of advice...when you trim the rudder horn brace, don't trim it to the center of the trim notches. Trim to the outside edge of those notches (i.e. don't trim too much off). I trimmed to the outside edge and it was a perfect fit with no futher work...if you go to the center of the holes, you may end up short on edge distance.

To late I already trimmed it. I saw this post this morning and was away from the office at a clients waiting on a computer. Wondered about it all day and then when I got home tonight went out and took a look. Looks like I will be within spec on the edge clearance. If you hadn't said something though I very well could have gotten a little carried away deburring and would have had to order parts.:eek:

Thanks!