DOX8

I trashed my first part today:mad:. Had a tough time getting the holes lined up in the front flange of R-703. Finally ended up splitting the flange with the fluting pliers. Any tips for not repeating my mistake when the new one comes?

I just did this same thing the other day, what a mess! Not too sure how to flute it to make it fit--- so I cut off the forward curved part and fabbed by own.

I'm gonna do a little more homwork to make sure it works before I rivet everything together, but the change shouldn't harm anything.

DB

The holes in my 703 were too far apart but seemed to be lined up vertically. Started with one central flute but that didn't seem to bring things together. Then I put a flute on either side of the first. Still no good. Where I really messed up was when I tried to flute in the opposite direction. Split the flange right down the middle. I am tempted to drill a hole at the bottom of the split and "V" notch the front flange where it split. This would essentially make 2 flanges. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Without a snap to look at I am confused - didn't have too much bother.

Fitting that rib isn't easy though. However a tip for all of the folded empennage parts is to hold the skin vertically and drop the rib down evenly and centralised. If you can, get the next rib in to the same point - even if it is at the other end of the skin.

Then, when you get a feel of where it will eventually fit, peel one side back to get a cleco in a couple back from the front. Get its opposite side in and you should find that the nose falls into place. You are trying to persuade the skin to conform to it's eventual shape. The rib may dive inwards at the nose - just wait until you are cleco'd further back and the skin is really taking shape, then remove the first nose cleco's, fish the rib out with a bent wire and get the nose cleco's back in.

Both my 7 and the 8 required very little fluting and with a little 'podging' all the clecos went in easily.