Did you use an edge forming tool on your RV-12 rudder?

• I didn't use an edge forming tool and it came out great!

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • I didn't use a tool, but wish I did!

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I used the Cleaveland Vise-Grip edge forming tool.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I used the Avery "hockey puck" edge rolling tool.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I used a tool, but wish I didn't!

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
Before riveting the leading edge of the R-1201 rudder skin, did you use an edge forming tool on the outer overlapping skin?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I used the Cleaveland tool where the plans said to break the edge of the skin. No need to use it in places where it isn't called for.

Last edited:
I used a broom handle to massage the aluminum but never could figure out the hockey puck to fold that first 1/4" or so inward. Turned out fine once riveted.

Last edited:
Rudder skin edge

I am about to turn page and start rudder assembly, this post caught my eye and I do not understand the post's..ie: folding edge of rudder skin, maybe someone can explain further before I start and goof up something..thanks

I am about to turn page and start rudder assembly, this post caught my eye and I do not understand the post's..ie: folding edge of rudder skin, maybe someone can explain further before I start and goof up something..thanks

The rudder skin on the RV-12 is one skin for both sides. It is folded by the factory at the trailing edge. At the front of the rudder, the skin extends beyond the spar and the factory has rolled the edges so they form a nice, curved leading edge. The left and right sides of the skin overlap and you rivet them together.

When two skins overlap, it is often suggested that you put a very, very, very slight bend in the outer skin to be sure it remains flat against the inner skin after they are riveted together. You use an edge forming tool to do this. You'll see this called out in the plans when you start working on the tail cone. It is not called out in the plans for the rudder, but as you can see from the poll, a lot of builders use the edge forming tool for this step, too.

Van's didn't call for breaking this edge and I didn't. Came out just fine. I suspect that's because that edge already has a curve to it.

For edges where edge breaking is called out I use the Cleaveland Vise-Grip edge forming tool. Works great!

Jim

I second the vice-grip edge forming tool! You just need a small amount of edge, so you can barely see it. The vice grip edge forming tool allows more control for that.

Bob

edge forming tools

Boy what a great forum, thanks for explaining in a way I can understand the reason for rolling edge on overlapping skin...makes sense now..all this is new to me and I learn something new everyday I build on this plane..thanks