scarlson

This is perhaps a dumb question but I can't find much information after some modest digging. I've owned several RV's, all with Lycoming engines. I'm considering trading for a RV 7 with a Eggenfellner Subaru set-up which has a Quinti Avio prop with Warp Drive blades and electric pitch control. I'm not much of a fabricator, so I'm considering changing out the Subaru set-up for a Lycoming. My question is can I use the Quinti prop on a 180 hp Lycoming? I thought that I read that the Warp Drive blades for that hub were limited to 160 hp? Any other issues? Thanks - Steve

The Quinti was a favorite with the H4 Subby, I had one until switching to the H6. Great system, I liked it but it is not rated for the Lycoming. Quinti was working on a 4 blade unit at the time but do not know what became of it. I know some guys pre ordered it.

Yes the Warp Drive blades were (are) rated per blade but I don't think it was 60 HP, something less than that. That's why the 4 blade system was being developed.

I wouldn't try to use that prop with a Lycoming. It works very well with the Subaru engine. You might be able to sell it to a Subie user as a spare. I'm using a 4 cylinder Subaru and very happy with it. I can give you good advice about the Subaru if you're interested. IMO you should get a big discount over a Lycoming powered aircraft if you agree to buy one.

-Andy

I wouldn't try to use that prop with a Lycoming. It works very well with the Subaru engine. You might be able to sell it to a Subie user as a spare. I'm using a 4 cylinder Subaru and very happy with it. I can give you good advice about the Subaru if you're interested. IMO you should get a big discount over a Lycoming powered aircraft if you agree to buy one.

-Andy
Good to read your message Andy. The H4 was super smooth for me and if I had not messed around with the super charger things might have worked out better. Is your PSRU is still good, some had bearing problems.

Some background info... Warp Drive, a long time ago, rated their props at 50hp per blade. Then there was a rash of cracks in the blade roots and Warp stopped recommending their blades for use on a direct-drive Lycoming because these cracks were associated with the larger power pulses of the Lycoming.

My hangar-mate has a 3-blade Warp prop hanging on the wall... It lived for a while on a 150hp O-320. All three blade roots are cracked.

Don't get me wrong - the Warp Drive is a great prop - I fly behind a 3-blade Warp prop in my C-85-powered Davis DA2A. I think Warp's change of policy regarding use on Lycomings is a wise one, based on field experience.

Good to read your message Andy. The H4 was super smooth for me and if I had not messed around with the super charger things might have worked out better. Is your PSRU is still good, some had bearing problems.

I have over 700 hours on the PSRU now. I'm in the process of swapping out to a spare and inspecting the current PSRU. One of the bearings in my spare is starting to go out so I will swap that out. It has 175 hours on it, but was used with a solid flywheel.

-Andy