Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Seeking input on whether it's worth getting the QuickBuild wings given the fact that there's a 4 month wait. How difficult is it to build the wings, in particular the fuel tanks.

Thanks,

Tom

Building Wings....

I just finished my wings slow build for an RV-9A.

1. There were two of us. Working more or less once a week.
2. Took about a year, no hurry for us.
3. We ENJOYED the building.
4. Not too hard, and we learned a lot, ESP. the gas tanks! Yuk! (but no leaks!)
5. I used to be an auto mechanic, but no sheet metal skills.
6. A few replaced parts, but the inspector said we did good work.

Final result:

If you want to get in the air, QB.
If you enjoy the therapy of building, BUILD

Middle: build the wings, and get someone to help with the tanks.

Dkb

My ten year old boy and I built our wings in about four months. The wings are not difficult and I recommend building them if your more concerned with saving some money. Very repetitious, but not difficult at all. The tanks aren't bad if you take your time and be as neat as possible. Go for it...you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
Go "Standard-Build"!

First of all there's no such thing as slow build RV-9. Slow build went away with the -3, -4, & -6. With all the pre-punched holes, the standard build is so simple I can't imagine anyone wanting to go "quick-build". There is nothing on the wings (except for the fuel tanks) that you haven't already done on the empennage. Except that on the wings, it's easier to get you hands inside.
Two people should be able to build the wings in a very few months. Even the tanks aren't that bad. A little messy, but not at all difficult.

SB kit took me about 45 days. I had lots of vacation time and decided to burn it all. Wings were the result of it (April, May 2007). :D

Standard build wings

I did standard build wings. I wanted an education in aircraft building, and also the ability to control all parts of the build including primer paint and the tanks. Got both. Also installed lots of extra platenuts, anchors and ground points for the electrical system, much easier than if the wings were quickbuild.

I was somewhat apprehensive about the tanks, but with lots of good advice from this site as well as some workmanship guidelines from the sealant manufacturer, I just found it a bit laborious and messy, but not difficult. Haven't tested them yet but don't expect any leaks. Especially check Rick Galati's advice on this site (Rick6A) which I found most helpful.

I was the same way and was able to knock them both out very quickly with little to no help at all. The tanks each took about a week total and that was only b.c I wanted to ensure everything was dry and sealed before I moved onto the next rib. Even the bottom skin I was able to rivet myself, left quite a few scratches on my arms from reaching inside but it was well worth it, what a feeling of accomplishment when they were done. I get my fuse next week and I plan to do the same and complete as much as possibly by myself before I call in the help.

Oh ya and with standard build you can say you built the entire plane and not just 51 percent :)

-David

SB kit took me about 45 days. I had lots of vacation time and decided to burn it all. Wings were the result of it (April, May 2007). :D

Another vote for slow build. I did mine solo in less than 5 months with time off for the holidays and other things. Tanks were no big deal. Mine probably came out better than the quickbuild factory as far as completeness of faying and sealing. Read other threads on problems with leaks from the quickbuilders. If you want the capacitive senders then slow build is the way to get that. I went with the standard senders, but upgraded the fuel caps.

Go for it!

It took me about 2 months to build my wings. I'm retired and worked just about every day. Fuselage should arrive next week and that is also standard kit. You can do it!

I'll offer up something from the other side of the camp, I have the QB wings. That was mainly a result of my wife's request, airplane sooner than later. If I had it all to do over again, I would build the wings. After the empennage I agree with all above, the wings would be easy to do.

I, however, am very happy with going with the QB fuselage. So ultimately on the next one (oh yes, there will be another) I would spend the money on the fuselage QB, but do the wings myself. It's not that I think I couldn't do the fuselage, it's just considerably more involved in bending the longerons, fitting the bulkheads, etc. I think the time savings there is much greater than the wings and if you want to get airborne sooner than later it's the best place to save time in my opinion.

Also keep in mind you still have two large skins on the QB wings to rivet and some gap farings.

Build them yourself

I built mine in less than 5 months, nothing hard about it, just lots of repetition. Keep in mind the quick build costs a lot more to ship as well. Save yourself a bunch of cash, learn a lot, and have them done the same time they would show up as a quick build.

Lots of good encouragement here. When you guys say "built in 2 months, 5 months, etc", I'm not sure exactly what that means in terms of hours, as some of you are retired and can devote all day everyday, but nonetheless it is clear that building the wings is not a big deal.

Are the wings the next logical step after the emp, or doesn't it really matter which comes next between wings and fuse?

wings... do them both at the same time...

the wings are not particularly difficult but they do take up quite a bit of room quickly and you will need to plan how that will work in the shop. there is a significant advantage to building both at the same time as well... because of the repetition of the ribs you can production line the process and be done with each step for both wings pretty efficiently.

you asked for hour reference in building them; here is my component hour summary for reference.

wings
wing structure - 162 hours
flaps - 20 hours
ailerons - 19 hours
leading edge - 39 hours
fuel tanks - 106 hours
total 346 hours

Stephen's numbers look reasonable with the possible exception of the fuel tanks. I built 4 tanks in about 35 hrs.

But, this wasn't my first rodeo. I had never built RV tanks before, but I had built 5 other aircraft at that point.

I'm not sure exactly what that means in terms of hours

I am first time builder. My log shows 550 hrs for wings. I think my wings are in a state that would be received QB (tanks complete, outer lower panels not riveted) however this time does include flap and aileron construction which would need to be done for a QB kit.

Are the wings the next logical step after the emp, or doesn't it really matter which comes next between wings and fuse?

I would recommend wings next and do SB. They are fairly easy. The challenges are generally small in nature and it is repetitive. The fuselage is different in my opinion. It is not repetitive and there is more fabrication required. I feel that the wing construction experience is a good lead in to the fuselage. I think a builder is better skilled at the fuse stage if the wings are built first.

YMMV

Me too...

I did QB wings (and fuse) on the 7 I had mostly built and then sold.

My impression is that having QB wings makes it really easy. They are amazingly complete. I haven't built standard wings, but can see that it would be pretty straightforward. I think it's a time thing. There are a lot of holes, and all those holes need drilling, deburring, dimpling, clecoing multiple times, and riveting. None of this is difficult, but takes some time. The QB eliminates lots of this.

Summary... QB wings will save you some time, but isn't necessary to avoid difficult building.

I agree that QB fuse probably avoids more tricky build steps as compared to the wings, as well as time. If I could only afford one and wanted to make things easier, I'd get the QB fuse.

Money,Time,Space

QB, Takes you a long way down the road. SB gives you almost enough money to buy the Fuse. Its a time/money thing. Factor in Vans 3% increase each and every year per kit. I would buy as much kit as you can as soon as you can. On the other hand their are a lot of kits on the used market that will put you ahead in time and money.I believe Gus tracks this and 60% of the builders he receives calls from are second or third owners, You will need advice in these waters if you go swimming there. :)

Summary... If I could only afford one and wanted to make things easier, I'd get the QB fuse.

I agree completely with Java; if you only have the $$ for one get the the QB fuselage...many small parts to fabricate, etc. With the wings you're working with big pieces and it all seems to go together and look like something rather quickly which is always big morale booster. My time to complete them was about 350 hrs (less the wing tip installation).

I had heard horror stories about fuel tanks before doing mine, but found them not to be a big deal at all. Control the mess (clean as you go) and get a helper to insert rivets while you goop the holes and do the riveting. The sliding canopy has been more painful for me than the fuel tanks by a factor of 50!

Enjoy the build!

Doug Lomheim
OK City, OK
90116; sloooooooooooooooow build; Mazda 13B rotary
Still working FWF when time allows

Last edited:
Slow build fuse

HI Tom,

I have been working on my slow build fuse and really love the building process. Its really fun and not hard at all. I know your a craftsman from your boat experience and think you would also enjoy the process of slow build of both wings and fuse. Big vote yes on the slow build fuse. But buy the c-frame 12" back rivot tool and base from Clevland. Very much worth it!

al

I built the Standard Build wings, too. I admit, I'm slow. My log shows that I invested 660 hours building my wings over a time span of about 15 months. But I was very meticulous and careful. Plus, I installed an AOA kit, custom fuel caps, Duckworks landing lights, a nice pitot tube and the plumbing for it, bracket for autopilot servo installed, and the bottom skins are completed and riveted on. Other than the wing tips, they're done and ready to fly. I invested more time than necessary in a wing stand/jig that was overbuilt. But it worked very well. I built them one at a time because of constraints for room. If you build them one at a time, there are a lot of tasks that can be done for both wings at once. I was very happy to get them finished, but wouldn't trade the experience and the things I learned for anything. If I were to do it again, I would do the SB kit again. I could probably do them in half the time.

Mel is right. These modern pre-punched kits are so good, there's not near the advantage in a QB that there used to be. So the money spent doesn't gain as much.

Slow build it is...

Thanks everyone - I will be ordering my slow-build wings tomorrow. I feel pretty good about the decision. When I thought about it, I felt like I was cheating myself out of the building experience by going quick build.