drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone know if Vans provide a warranty on their quickbuilds? I'll be contacting Vans tomorrow to find out what support they provide for defective quickbuild components

I am only a few weeks away from first flight and was dismayed this morning to find that my gas tank is leaking. After I put in 4 gallons I found a six inch blue stain and a few drips along the rear bottom of the tank where it abuts the wing inspection cover. You would think that Vans would pressure check their quickbuild tanks prior to shipment.

I have helped others build new tanks and fix leaking ones. What is frustrating is that I chose the quickbuild option with the understanding that the components were built to aircraft standards and to avoid first builders foobars.

Anyone else have a problem with their quickbuild tanks? What support did you received from Vans?

I have built three QB's and helped with a dozen more and never saw a QB tank leak. Vans should warrant your tank however they may try to get you to fix it vs. replace.

QB tank leaks

I too have QB tanks and within 6mo. of putting fuel in them, both leak around rivets such that I have many paint blisters. All blisters are dry, I have no wet leaks. Boroscoping the tanks shows pretty significant lack of proseal over rivet heads. I've had numerous discussions with Vans and they have provided all repair materials at no cost. However, that doesn't negate the poor workmanship that is occurring in QB tank construction. I think all QB tanks should internally inspected for quality application of Proseal. I also think all QB tank external rivet heads should be treated externally with Lock-tite 290 wicking formula as a precaution.

I've not yet repaired my tanks, it's a project for this winter. Because I have no liquid leaks, my plan is to remove all paint along the rivet lines, aggressively abraid the surfaces with sandpaper and scotchbright. All rivet lines will be filled with epoxy & microballoons, apply a fiberglass tape over that, then micro balloons over the glass tape.

To attempt to repair from the inside would require cutting large holes in the rear tank wall between each rib (6holes per tank). It would require difficult cleaning and even more difficult to apply more proseal through the rear baffle holes. I fear the cure could be worse than the disease.

You purchased the QB wings as a component, they should be defect free. You also paid GOOD money for the QB. Van's is responsible to make the tanks right as long as you did not cause the damage.