rwarre

Well Known Member
Have been working on my quickbuild fuselage. There are several places where pop-rivets hold the skin on. I plan on removing the pop rivets and installing the correct ones. Anyone else have this on their quickbuild? Should I complain? Thanks Randy

yep, QB's come with pop rivets in some places. They are installed to hold the thing together for shipping or to let the builder decide tipup or slider. No need to complain.

pop rivets

Hey Randy, don't complain to Vans about the temporary rivets. They're usually drilled out and re-riveted with AN rivets in assembly with other parts. Oh and this is done in a dozen places or so, as you've likely noticed.
Very, very little of what Van's does in their kits (especially the QB's) is done in error. Regards:)

As you get more into it, you may also find a few solid rivets that need to come out also. For example, I just put on my forward top deck skin (Slider) - the 6 aft most rivets for the skin on one side already had solid rivets in them which had to be removed. The other side did not. When you get to working on the firewall, there are some solid rivets that need to be removed also.

Another area where rivets MAY have to be removed is the lower wing inboard attach to the sheet metal under the fuselage. The plans call for 11 nutplate on each side and to "leave rivets out of the holes". My QB came with all the rivets in---- probably for strength when shippping. On the same subject remember that to drill the sheet metal piece that sticks out from the fuselage on each side you need to have the holes marked with "lead lines" that indicate the hole should be 3 inches down the line and draw these before mounting the wings for the first time so you can match up the holes even though you cant see the ones on the wing root when they are installed. Ask me how I know. Should have spent more time reading the plans! I'll be putting the wings on again just to drill these holes and then taking them off to do the dimpling and nutplates.

Don't just drill out the rivets and replace them. Some need to be drilled out and riveted up later, in conjunction with some other part.

You might find yourself drilling those replacement rivets out at some point in the future.

...On the same subject remember that to drill the sheet metal piece that sticks out from the fuselage on each side you need to have the holes marked with "lead lines" that indicate the hole should be 3 inches down the line and draw these before mounting the wings for the first time so you can match up the holes even though you cant see the ones on the wing root when they are installed...
Tom, use a hole duplicator to locate these holes, it worked great on my -9. No chance of miss-drilling the hole this way.