jlfernan

Well Known Member
I'm working on my 9A's steps and am hoping you guys can settle a debate. Should I go through the trouble of removing tha baggage side covers and use solid rivets or take the simpler route and use blind(Cherrymax not the MSP-42's) rivets? I just hate drilling out perfecly good rivets. Thanks.

I just drilled out the two plate nuts on the front edge, (4 rivets) and then was able to easily reach behind the covers to buck the step rivets. The plate nut rivets were easy to reinstall with my hand squeezer.

Mike Rhodes just did a writeup on how he attached steps on his -9A QB. Too long to post here. Send me an email address & I'll forward to you. I also need to see what it takes to get the article posted on the VAF site.

Jorge:

I faced the same issue and decided to take the covers of and use solid rivets. The step will take a lot of abuse and the torque might work pulled rivets loose so I went with solid. I don't think I took the sides off though, just the front rivets so I could get behind with a bucking bar.

Jekyll

QB Steps

I used solid rivets and am glad of it. Was really no problem to reinstall the side plates.

Remove 'em

I had a hard time removing the rivets, but I'm very glad I did. In addition to solid rivets, I also made a doubler. I used pro-seal between the doubler & skin and also on the outside between the skin and the step.

The solid rivets certainly look nicer than the pulled rivets, but the pulled rivets are adequate and are easier to install. Mine have held up just fine with over three years of climbing up and down on my steps. I'm no feather weight and my steps are not showing any signs of weakening. There is way more than just the rivets holding the steps in place when they are properly fit into the fuselage. Keeping the holes tight helps support the step so it is not depending on just the rivets for support in the outboard area. I used whatever pulled rivets Van's supplied with the step kits.

Roberta

Rick_A said:
I had a hard time removing the rivets, but I'm very glad I did. In addition to solid rivets, I also made a doubler. I used pro-seal between the doubler & skin and also on the outside between the skin and the step.

Rick, what did you use for your doubler plate? .063 Alclad?