RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

I have a quick urgent question:

I?d like to tap out a K1100-08 platenut used for the tank/spar attachment and a AN509-8R9 screw, but don?t know what size tap and thread to use or where to buy it on the internet.

The reason is that one of the platenuts already installed do not have threads!:mad:

I do not want to undo and untorque all the other (50+) ready installed screws and nuts on the mated tank & leading edge, in order to drill out one nutplate. (more damage to existing hardware)So I?m thinking of tapping out this one platenut in its place and then using Locktite on that screw to secure it.

You see I live in South Africa (Metric Country) getting imperial taps are difficult if not almost impossible and then very very expensive. I have a friend currently visiting in the USA that I can send it to and he will bring in back to me on his return next week.

I just need to know what size tap to use and where I can Internet order it quckly from (or a set of taps for the RV?s), within the next day or so, to be delivered in time before he leaves the USA.

Can you USA guys please urgently help me with the info? :D

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Taps available everywhere here in US

Rudi,
The tap you need will be an 8-32 taper tap. You can get these at any hardware or autoparts store here in the US.

The nutplates are pretty 'hard" steel. Never tried to tap one that had no threads at all, but you should be able to. Use some tapping lubricant.

I've never been to South Africa but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one there at an autoparts store.

Mark

Last edited:
Tap

The AN509-8 screws are a regular 8-32 thread (looked it up on Aircraft Spruce to be sure)

Dennis Glaeser

Rudi, I agree with the earlier poster's suggestions and would only add one comment/suggestion: go ahead and get a small full tap and die set, one that would cover 6-32 up to 3/8 or 1/2 inch. These can be had for $50-$75 and would be useful for all aircraft hardware that would be found on most homebuilts. The sets also include the needed tap and die holders and some include the associated drills.

Good Luck,
Deene

Get a set

deene said:
Rudi, I agree with the earlier poster's suggestions and would only add one comment/suggestion: go ahead and get a small full tap and die set, one that would cover 6-32 up to 3/8 or 1/2 inch. These can be had for $50-$75 and would be useful for all aircraft hardware that would be found on most homebuilts. The sets also include the needed tap and die holders and some include the associated drills.

Good Luck,
Deene
I agree completely with Deene. I'm really surprised you've been able to get by without a tap and die set. You *will* need one before the project is over. I've got one from Sears, and one from Home Depot. They are fine. At Home Depot I bought a couple of extra 6-32 and 8-32 taps, since they are the most commonly used. Since I'm also in "metric country", I didn't want to get stuck if I break one tap.

Mail

Rudi,

If having an 8-32 tap will be ridiculously expensive to have shipped to you, but it would be cheaper for an individual to simply pop it in a padded envelope and send it via US Postal Service, let me know (i.e. you buy, have it sent to me, I send it to you). I've sent various small things to RV builders outside the US on occasion to help them save ghastly amounts of shipping and import taxes. If I can help, let me know.

If you don't have at least a 6-32 and 8-32 tap, I'd recommend getting those two if not a complete set.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Ditto all the above. I've had to tap two platenuts in the past that didn't have threads. It really wasn't hard to do, and I (obviously) agree that it's your best option. Good luck.

Hi Guys,

Thanks this is exactly the info I was looking for and just in time as well...I'll try and order a set from "Lowes" tonight and then it should be delivered in time for my friend to bring home to me in South Africa.

PS: Thanks for the offers to forward, I'll bank them for later.

Kind Regards
Rudi