Bullseye

Well Known Member
I decided last night that I am going to "every other" cleco my wings before matchdrilling.

That means I need a few hundred more clecos, and at that quantity, it's going to make sense for me to shop around.

Here's what I found for prices...am I missing anyone?

3/32" Spring Cleco Prices
Aircraft Spruce - $0.43, plus shipping
Avery Tools - $0.42, free shipping over $95, per wingnut
Brown Tools - $0.44, 0.42 if >100, free shipping >$95
Cleveland Tools - Website is not working...
Vans Aircraft - $0.40, plus shipping
The Yard Store - $0.40, free shipping >$100.
PlaneTools.com - $0.79...WHAT?!!
Aircraft Tool Supply - $0.49, plus shipping.
Innovative Tooling Services - $0.35..free shipping >$100.

UPDATE: Just found Innovative Tooling. The picture on the page for 3/32" doesn't show a silver cleco, but I'm assuming they just used the same picture. Just placed my order, we'll see how they are when they arrive.

Another UPDATE: Clecos arrived, and they are great. Jump down to my later post here to read more.

OLD: Looks like the yard store wins...they used to have bulk used clecos in 3/32" size for $25 per 100, but I called today and they are out. I'll have to order new clecos, but bummer they are still $0.40 each. (By the way, who gets off selling clecos for $0.79 each?)

Anyone have any better sources for a few hundred silver clecos?

Last edited:
Avery has free online shipping

for online orders over $95.00. I just ordered more clecos from them in the past week (those and a half dozen other things I found I needed as I go along!).

Wow, i just did the same search today. I didn't quite to quite as many sites, but did notice the sale at Avery, .42 down from .45.

I think Andrew, you and I are about at the same place building wings! I realized that i'd soon need a lot more if I were going to be doing both wings at the same time. I ended up buying from Avery since I've been really happy with everything I've bought there before. I also threw in a handful of drill bits--can't have enough 30s and 40s.

Brown Tool Cleco Prices Clarification / Free Shipping

Just for the record and to clarify our pricing on USA manufactured spring clecos...

Our prices for common size spring clecos are as follows:

1-99 pieces .44 each
100-999 pieces .42 each
1000 & Up .41 each
http://www.browntool.com/Default.as...1&Level=a&SortField=ProductName,ProductNumber

And, we offer FREE shipping to ANY ADDRESS in the USA (including APO, FPO, Alaska, Hawaii) for orders over $95 that are paid with a credit card.

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.
Oklahoma City, OK USA
www.browntool.com

Sometime long ago someone in another thread said Wedge-lok brand cleco's were desirable compared to other brands. From memory ?smoother spring action.

I am about to order cleco's and had decided to go for Wedge-lok but wonder if this is true, or just personal preference/urban myth.

Are they are all just OK anyway irrespecive of brand/manufacturer if from a reputable supplier like all those above, and it is not worth the effort to get one brand over another.
John

clecos

I haven't bought clecos in a long time but when I did, I found that you get what you pay for in that the cheaper ones I bought were of poor quality and many of them would not even pull down. Cleco is a brand and I would stick with those.

Chris M

Sometime long ago someone in another thread said Wedge-lok brand cleco's were desirable compared to other brands. From memory ?smoother spring action.

I am about to order cleco's and had decided to go for Wedge-lok but wonder if this is true, or just personal preference/urban myth.

Are they are all just OK anyway irrespecive of brand/manufacturer if from a reputable supplier like all those above, and it is not worth the effort to get one brand over another.
John

I have a mix of Wedge-lok and ATS.

The wedge-lock ones are actually shorter, but have a better spring and the gripping part is formed better... It is noticeable.

andrew, don't hesitate ordering them, I had enough clecos to put the top/bottom skins on ONE wing, and I kicked around the idea of ordering more so I could rough assemble both wings, but decided to just do one wing at a time instead, in phases though, so top skin left wing, top skin right wing, etc....

Anyways, now I'm on the fuselage, and just putting the AFT fuselage together I was running out of clecos! I'd like to have another 150 or so, I'll watch to see how the ones you receive turnout

CLECO PRICES

To clarify the PlaneTools price on clecos. We match prices with any of the tool suppliers for RV builders. USA made clecos cost more than the imports. Suppliers that sell USA clecos recognize that these are not a profitable item, but necessary. If someone orders 10 clecos and a pair of cleco pliers for a boat project they pay list price. You would be surprised how many people do this. By using list price on our web we can spend our time supporting RV builders.

Shane Isham
Current project an RV-12
http://www.planetools.com/RV-12.htm

To clarify the PlaneTools price on clecos. We match prices with any of the tool suppliers for RV builders. USA made clecos cost more than the imports. Suppliers that sell USA clecos recognize that these are not a profitable item, but necessary. If someone orders 10 clecos and a pair of cleco pliers for a boat project they pay list price. You would be surprised how many people do this. By using list price on our web we can spend our time supporting RV builders.

Shane Isham
Current project an RV-12
http://www.planetools.com/RV-12.htm

so to translate all that, the new price for RV builders is _________ ? I'll buy up a few at < $0.35 a piece, who's with me?

Isham Cleco's

Shane, Thanks for posting that. I have found your tool set to be of nothing but the best quality and REALLY like the Scothbright wheel you package with it but was a little disheartened with the Cleco prices. I too would like more for the wings. I do like supporting fellow Texans (Avery) but, I hate to pay Texas Sales Tax. I guess that means we should call you to get the matched price and can you also match the free shipping over X $ ?

Edit: Spoke with Shane (he was drilling on his 12 project) and he adjusted the Cleco price. You can order with the Web Site and add a note during the purchase for them to match the price. Thanks Shane and enjoy your build time.

Last edited:
GAHco

c-3/32
.457 at 100 or more. Free Shipping in USA if order is over $100 for products.

Just got an email from Derek at Innovative Tooling Supply. My order of 400 clecos @$0.35 each should arrive next Monday. I'll post some pictures and comparisons that night.

I think it's worth mentioning that Aircraft Spruce discounts for volume. At 100 units they give 15% off which drops the cost to less than $.037.

Clecos

Andrew,
I live in the area, and work in Greensboro. I have a bunch of them, and will be glad to lend them to you. Send me a PM and we can get in touch..the money will be better used somewhere else,unless you just want to have a bunch of Clecos!

Bill E.
RV-4 N76WE
Phase 1
Advance NC/8A7

Well, my order from Innovative Tool Supply came in.

I am pleasantly surprised.

I feel bad, apparently the bag comes in quantities of 500, so they had to tear open the bag and take out 100 clecos. Oh well.

20110207-001-large-medium.jpg

I dumped all 400 into my cleco-tupperware container.

20110207-002-large-medium.jpg

I even left the flash on so they would sparkle a little extra for you.

20110207-003-large-medium.jpg

Made in the U.S.A.

20110207-007-large-medium.jpg

This last picture shows a few of my different kinds of clecos. From left to right:
1) Clekolok USA, new today (from Innovative Tool Supply)
2) Kwik lok USA, purchased about a year ago (from the Yard)
3) Kwik lok USA, purchased about a year ago (from the Yard's used bulk area)
4) Unknown, purchased about a year ago (from the Yard's used bulk area)

Even though I like the shiny ones better, they all seem to work great.

They were a steal at $0.35 each, and when you're buying 400 of them, it saved me $20 over anyone else's prices.

That's gas money right there.

Celco's

Shane at plane tools sold me 250 new at .40 each and threw in a few scotch bright pads. Great people