RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Quick Query...I have started with my stiffeners for my ailerons, this time i had to use hand snips for cutting and shapeing them, previously I used a sheet metal foot shear machine at Alexander Tech center.

For some reason it looks like the stiffeners are bowing more away from the flat, skin, surface after the hand snip cutting than on the machine.:mad:

Is this cause for concern?
If so, do you guys use the fluting pliers on the stiffeners, or how do you get them straight and flat again, after cutting them?

Thanks
Rudi

Last edited:
Mine were bowed slightly, too, after cutting with the band saw.
I think the thin AL angle has a slight bow to it, anyway.
As long as it is just a little it won't make any difference.

Thomas

I had talked to Vans about bowed stiffeners when I was building my empennage. They said it was ok to flute them if it "made me feel better". I did. It didn't take much, and made me feel much better to see a nice straight skin.

I trimmed mine with Wiss snips. They bowed only very slightly, but once backriveted, they straighten right out. No bow in my elevator or rudder skins resulted.

Hi Guys, thanks for the quick reply...
Well it is on to snipping 32 stiffeners by hand for my tonight, :(
<Can you say "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" ?>:)

The ones that bow to much to my liking I'll just flute em!

Thanx
Rudi

If you make the long, straight cut using AL vise clamps and a Stanley utility knife, they will not curl when you cut them. Clamp the stiffener in the vise clamps and scribe 4 or 5 times with the knife. They will snap right apart. Then clean up on your sander and scotch wheel.

Roberta