uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
I have just started to work on my -7 QB fuselage(excitment building again) and notice many places where pop rivets are used to hold stuff in place and in most cases it is obvious that they need to be removed. In one case (the seat area that contains the seat back hinges) it is not so obvious that these should be drilled out as two complete rows have been installed.
Any feedback from QB builders on what they did. :confused:

Treat your QB as you would a SB fuse and start with step #1 in the manual and plans.
As you get to each step to verify that it was done correctly and completely, you'll come across references to the parts you're asking about and all will become clear.

And yes, you'll be drilling out some of those parts and reinstalling them.

I totally agree with Highflight about going through everything in the slow build manual. But to answer your specific question:

The aft seat floors come partially installed with some LP4-3 rivets as called out in the plans, not the crappy little temporary rivets you'll find elsewhere on the QB. [at least that's how it was on mine.] And you can inspect under the aft seat floors with a mirror through the openings under the removable forward seat floors. So in this case, no reason to drill out those rivets. If everything is ok, just finish installing the rest of the LP4-3 pop rivets.

Note that the aft row of rivets (at the bulkhead) is also shared with the baggage floors. So make sure you understand that whole area and decide how you want to handle it (several possible ways) before you rivet.

Dave:

I removed 1 floor but not the 2nd (right side). There is no real reason to remove them (read that as required to remove for sequencing the build). I took my first one off because I thought I might modify them with screws vs rivets but as I got further along, I realized I didn't need anything under those floors so, rivets went back in. Put off the decision until you have your systems defined and an idea of your wiring needs. You may later decide to install a conduit or some items such as antennas or relays under the seat. You should be able to install a conduit from the baggage side of the bulkhead, those floors are easier to remove in my opinion (7A builders will be removing those to install steps). I installed all my wiring, relays, electric trim and terminals with the seats fully riveted in place.

As previously mentioned, the baggage floor and aft seat floor share a rivet line and the plans indicate the assembly order as optional (baggage over seat floor or vice versa). I went with baggage floor over the seat floor and later regretted it when installing the center flap bearing block. It'll fit easier with the seat floor over the baggage floor.

Jekyll

Thanks for the tips, I think I have decided not to make the baggage floors removable as I have seen another RV with the stobe power supply behind the right seat and the installation is very neat and accessable.