wellsheit

I'm New Here
I read it once before and I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere, but searching '-1 kit' doesn't give you a very good search return. Can someone explain, when buying a used kit, what folks mean with a -1 kit and whatnot. What the differences in 'generations' are of van's kits. IE if I buy an -8 emp kit thats been sitting for 6 or 7 years, what would be different.

I'm not ready to buy an emp kit new just yet, but I'm close enough I'm keeping an eye out for any deals that pop up.

Thank you.

B

There is the -1 wing kit that is prepunched and does not require a wing jig....these were created 2000 and onward.

There is a -1 fuse kit, which needs a jig.
There is a -2 fuse kit that doesn't need a jig. The -2 fuse kit is from 2006 and on.

So, for me, I would stay away from any fuse kit prior to 2006 and any wing kit prior to 2000....that's if I didn't want to use a jig system for either the wing or fuse.

DP

There is the -1 wing kit that is prepunched and does not require a wing jig....these were created 2000 and onward.

There is a -1 fuse kit, which needs a jig.
There is a -2 fuse kit that doesn't need a jig. The -2 fuse kit is from 2006 and on.

So, for me, I would stay away from any fuse kit prior to 2006 and any wing kit prior to 2000....that's if I didn't want to use a jig system for either the wing or fuse.

DP

The -1 wing kit had a spar change and is approved for 1600 lb. aerobatic gross weight vs. 1550 for the original wing.

The current fuselage kit is -1, not -2. The original fuselage kit has no "dash" number. The -1 kit is 100% matched-hole pre-punched, while the original kit only had pre-punched skins (the under-structure requires match drilling in assembly with the pre-punched skins).

The -1 fuselage kit also includes significant design changes of various bulkheads and parts to presumably improve manufacturability but may also reduce the finished weight a little bit.

Skylor