Wills_9A

Does is matter what kind of intercom I use if I want to run XM music, or any music for that matter, through to my headset? I plan on using an audio panel with music input and comm interrupt, but how does the intercom figure into this equation? Thanks as always....

Stereo?

I was riding with Danny King in the "Doll" recently and he had the MX radio on. His plane has Bose headsets. I comented on the great stereo sound!
He said he was using a PS 3000 intercom.
The "Borrowed Horse" now has Bose, and, a new PM3000. We put it in today. It sounds great in the hanger. The wind is too HIGH :eek: to drive the Jeep CJ7 much less try a test flight today. I am sure it will be a good thing.
Do it.

Stereo???

Thanks, but what I guess I am trying to ask is, if I fork over more money for the audio panel with stereo inputs, do I still need a stereo intercom...and vice versa, if I go cheap on the audio panel (no stereo), can I still get my music by going to a relatively inexpensive stereo intercom?

I'm not an expert on intercoms, but this is my understanding. If you have just one radio in your plane, you can use a fairly simple intercom like the PS Engineering PM3000. This unit allows the pilot to talk to the passenger and vice versa while cutting out the background noise from the plane. It also allows either to talk and listen to the comm radio. I believe that particular unit also has an auxiliary input to listen to an iPod or XM radio.

When you get more than one radio, or add an ADF or other audio source, you'll need to step up to an audio panel such as the Garmin or one of the PS Engineering models. These have all of the functions of an intercom, but also allow you to select one and usually two audio sources. Most models also have the ability to annunciate a marker beacon used for IFR.

So to answer your original question, you can use either an intercom or audio plane depending on how much equipment you plan on having. Just make sure it has an auxiliary input. If you want good music quality, also make sure it's stereo-capable.

Hopefully others will jump in and correct me if any of the above is wrong.

Dave

You can run two radios just fine without an audio panel. Been doing it for many years.
Mel

Many of the older Audio panels do not support the intercom function,
if not you will need a seperate intercom.

AL Smith