turbo

Well Known Member
i use this pungy cord for a quick tie when i am on the ramp for a short time. with a loop on one end you put it over the stick, then pass it under the gear support and back up to tie at the stick. a clove hitch works fine. i also lock the rudder.
img1959mn9.jpg

Becareful not to ever use the seat belt on the passenger side. It is believed (rumored) that one left on the passenger stick caused a stall on take off and fatal crash at the Arlington Air show years ago.

I think that it was caused....

Becareful not to ever use the seat belt on the passenger side. It is believed (rumored) that one left on the passenger stick caused a stall on take off and fatal crash at the Arlington Air show years ago.

by the pilots failure to check the controls range before taking off. It should be in your check list and you should follow the checklist.

Kent

Right..But..

Like most large flyins there can be severe time pressure to do the runup and get out of there.

I always take the time at AWO to taxi up the taxiway and do a full run up....I would say that less then 50% of the airplanes do a runup when leaving right after the airshow.

Having said that I always use the pilots side seat belt.

Frank

I use the pilot's seatbelt, too. It seems to work fine. Runups have nothing to do with the flight controls. Regardless of doing a run up, I always make it a practice to "wipe" the controls and call controls free and correct prior to positioning on the runway, especially if a passenger is aboard. You never know when they might have inadvertently hooked clothing, camera straps, etc., on the controls, and it is a nice gentle way of insuring that "larger" passengers know to allow some room for the flight control movement.

Vic

Like most large flyins there can be severe time pressure to do the runup and get out of there. I would say that less then 50% of the airplanes do a runup when leaving right after the airshow.
Frank

As the PIC of the aircraft this is is how I see it...

1. USE the checklist
2. It is the PIC responsibility to conduct safe flights. So if it takes a little longer to do your run up and control check so what.

I'd think that #2 is important to do this especially during high time pressures. If I make another pilot mad doing so, so be it.

Clearing controls

Had to abort a flight in the Pitts once. Large passenger in front, winter with he wearing a bulky coat. Seated him as far back in the front seat as possible and tightened belts as much as we could. Controls seemed OK @ hanger before firing up. On control check before taking the runway was unable to get stick much back of neutral, even after he tried to readjust himself. Guess he had slid a little down and fwd. It was disappointing to both of us but we're all here to talk about it. Time taken to check controls is well spent. Bill