Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

Getting ready to wire up our intercom and I'd like to have PTT's on both sticks, however, our right stick is removable and I'm thinking about just wiring in a connector online of the PTT so it can be removed easily..

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff

Not on an RV, but..

I made the right stick on my Cleanex removable. I had a PTT switch in the stick, and got basic mono male and female inline plugs from Radio Shack and installed them in the wiring at the bottom of the stick. Worked fine..

HTH a bit....

QD's

Molex connectors like the ones on most strobes will work. Steinair should have them.

I have a 4 way trim switch on my stick too, so I used a DB-9 computer style connector on mine to make it removable.

I used a two-pin molex connector. For the wiring within the stick, I used an old coiled computer cable. Cut at the right length, it coils up nicely inside the stick and pulls the connector just up inside the bottom of the stick so it won't hang up on the mechanisms below, but will pull out of the stick easily to disconnect/connect.

greg

I used some RC battery connectors like these:
150MM-RC-Plane-lipo-battery-connector-JST-plug-JST-line-low-sipping.jpg

On our RV-10, one of the build partners was concerned that the infinity grip would get bumped by the co-pilot/passenger if they were reading a map or other document etc. We installed a rocker switch on the panel giving us the ability to disconnect the co-pilot stick. This panel disconnect disables the PTT, flaps, three trims and AP disconnect switches. We like it so far with only 70 hrs on the hobbs.
Ron

Hey guys,

Getting ready to wire up our intercom and I'd like to have PTT's on both sticks, however, our right stick is removable and I'm thinking about just wiring in a connector online of the PTT so it can be removed easily..

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff

Put the passenger PTT on the panel, no wiring in the stick to worry about.

finish64.jpg

Putting the passenger PTT on the panel by the headset jacks is a great idea until you're sitting in the right seat trying to teach someone formation. It's a pain to have to let go of a control (throttle or stick) and take your eyes off lead to find the PTT.

A couple of pilots locally put a PTT on the panel right above the throttle. That way it's accessible for a passenger (whether they're flying or not) and makes a convenient backup for the pilot. Of course, it needs to key both mic's to do that.

locking 3.5mm audio jack

I used a locking 3.5mm audio jack and coiled wire.

Something like this but mine uses plastic for the outside housing.
LPSwitchcraft35HDInline.jpg

35hdlbaus.jpg

I used some RC battery connectors like these:
150MM-RC-Plane-lipo-battery-connector-JST-plug-JST-line-low-sipping.jpg

I was thinking something like you were thinking.. I fly a good bit of RC and have tons of different connectors laying around..

The panel idea is good, but the only reason I'm even considering PTT on the right stick is for a formation clinic.. If they didn't require it, it'd be left out..