Flyguytki

Well Known Member
I am cutting this pretty close as I need to have everything packed up ready for the movers to pick everything up in a few days. I need to build a crate for my completed wings to move across the country and be stored for a few months. I had asked earlier if anyone in the North Texas area had just taken delivery of some quick build wings and could spare the crate but had no luck with that. Before I take on an the task of engerineering my own, I am asking if anyone who may still have the crate laying around could give me some dimensions and how Vans built theirs. If you could take some pictures that would be Fantastic. Thanks alot for the help, and lets hope everything gets there the same way it looks now.

Thanks alot
-david

my wings were packed together

in one crate. right on top of each other with a big sheet of styrofoam in between and a little on the side for padding, nothing more. The ailerons and flaps were removed of course, same goes for the tips. I have two pictures that will show how the crates are constructed (kinda from a distance) but it goes beyond my tech level to figure out how to post them. Send me a PM or something if you like...

I think the walls were made of two 16" planks stacked on top of each other and held together by pieces of 2x4. the top and bottom were big multiplex sheets reinforced again by 2x4.

However, I just build a rather sturdy cradle that held them upright much like the cradle that is described in the plans. I then rolled the cradle in a truck and strapped the whole dealio down. Got the wings to the airport safe and stored them like that for a long time.

Hope this helps and good luck on your move,

Leaker

spars were bolted down

Now that I think about it more I do think that the main spars were bolted to a piece of wood to help secure the wings in the crate.