RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I'm working on a QB wing for a 7. I pulled the tank off to file the skin where it mates the other skins (paint gap). I was looking at the quality of the work and it is quite bad. There are many rivets that are not set flush into the dimples and many are not straight. There is a notable edge on many. In fact, I was running my fingers over a rivet line and actually put a small cut in my finger!!!!

Also noted were lots of marks around the rivets (halos) and a few scratches around the rivets. There are a couple of minor dents on the first couple rivets near the leading edge. The rest of the wing looks pretty good with no other riveting issues. The tank is definitely not the quality of other QBs I have observed

I checked with my neighbor on his QB and his tank is great.

I'm not sure how this could have occurred but it appears this is a QB wing with a home built tank.

I was wondering if anyone else has noted any less than ideal workmanship on the QB, specifically the tank.

Of course, this happened on a Saturday and I can't contact anyone from Van's. Thanks in advance.

.......I was wondering if anyone else has noted any less than ideal workmanship on the QB, specifically the tank......
Fuel tank construction demands high quality and is inherently unforgiving of marginal workmanship.

I am sad to report I too have observed poor workmanship on a specific pair of quickbuild fuel tanks. The thread I posted images of the quickbuild tanks on is well known and for a time the thread generated a lot of attention.

As a former aircraft worker, I KNOW how life can be on the production line. People are people and an effective quality control program or a more formal QC department is what keeps everybody honest. The close up detail photos of those quickbuild tanks are presented in post #100. I believe the images demonstrate a failure to meet reasonable quality control standards. Regardless of what I think, the images speak for themselves:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=10187&highlight=fuel+tank+blisters&page=5

come on guys!!

There has to be some more data points out there on the quality of QB tanks. Anyone else besides Rick see issues? How was the quality of the riveting.
I would like to have some more information before I speak with Van's tomorrow.

Thanks!!!