Jamie

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to order my finish kit and there is something that doesn't quite make sense. Here's Van's list of what's in the finish kit:

# Plexi-glass canopy, light gray tint is standard; clear available on special order.
# Welded canopy frame.
# Fiberglass cowl and mounting materials.
# Engine mount.
# Main gear legs (RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-7). Includes axles, wheel nuts, spacers and installation hardware.
# Fiberglass spinner with aluminum mounting plates.
# Fiberglass landing gear and wheel fairings.
# New Cleveland 5:00 x 5 wheels and brakes with hardware.
# All brake lines and hardware.
# New 5:00 x 5 tires and tubes.
# Wing root and empennage/fuselage fairings.
# Nosegear leg, fork, and wheel assembly on RV-6A, RV-7A, RV-8A, RV-9A.

Now...why do they need to know if I'm going to be using FI or a carb? The reason I ask is because I'm 99% certain that I'm going to be using a -360 (parallel valve) with a Hartzell C/S prop but I haven't decided what type of fuel metering I'm going to have. Will I have to exchange parts if I choose FI on the form and end up installing a carb?

I'm not sure why they ask that either? Maybe to gather data on what people are doing?

There is difference between the cowls and engine mount for the 320 vs 360. The spinner can also be different, too. Like if you get the MT prop they include the spinner so you don't need to get Van's.

Just got my finish kit a few weeks ago. It felt neat getting those kind of parts. I can tell, however, that the fiberglass is going to take a while.

Carb engines get the lower cowl with the scoop, since the carb is mounted on the bottom of the sump. Fuel injected engines have the servo mounted on the forward face of the sump and get the smooth bottom cowl.

William Slaughter said:
Carb engines get the lower cowl with the scoop, since the carb is mounted on the bottom of the sump. Fuel injected engines have the servo mounted on the forward face of the sump and get the smooth bottom cowl.
Yeah, but that's why they ask you about the induction type. Horizontal induction gets the smooth cowl, vertical induction gets the scoop...it's not necessarily about FI vs. carb...since there are vertical induction FI setups as well (for example, the Superior XP-360 can be ordered with this option).

Van's has several different filtered air box kits, since the various carbs and injectors have different dimensions. If you know you're going with a scooped cowl, but have not finalized which carb or injector to use, you might consider having Van's leave the FAB out of your initial Finish Kit order, then buy the correct one when the time comes.

William