RNB

Well Known Member
Patron
It has been a whirlwind couple of months. C172 pilot owner here. After a May 2024 vacation that included a Vans factory tour I got all excited for a Vans plane. At the end of the tour I got to sit in a 14, surprised I might have fit as I am very tall and a bit overweight. Set up a discovery flight with Zach, did this in a 10 as it has more room for me. The marriage has suffered since, my poor wife clearly enjoys our 172, having worked a lot on it making it a forever plane.

I set out to learn the market for used 10s. I seriously considered building for the adventure but am a bit grateful to not get on that emotional roller coaster. In a used plane I was looking for something that did not need major effort with regards to a new engine, avionics, or other major expenses. Due to my body habitus, I tried to find one with a plain panel design, no center console projections or throttle quadrants, certainly not without sitting in the planes. I was surprised how many engines installed in new planes were overhauled, these I perceived to be less valuable than older engines that were installed new.

I found a plane in Texas that generally seemed to fit the above. Broker had worked on the plane for a while, seemed to have a business started with experimental. Seemed to be a fella that could do a good prebuy. Decent paint, 5600 series AFS panel, IFR legal GPS, met interior/engine requirements.

I emailed and talked on the phone with Vic. Bought his book. He was willing to do a flat fee based log inspection, consult over the phone on prebuy inspection, not willing to travel. I really wanted the best set of eyes possible to look over the plane. So I combed the net, found someone I'd seen in some videos, assumed to have lots of RV experience, willing to travel. Nick Syracuse of Inside Out Aviation. Nick examined the available logs remotely, picked up a few concerns. He set up travel plans with the broker. Bill paid in advance of travel, airfare split with another prebuy at same airport. I arrived the day before the inspection, got a test flight in. Assisted in opening the plane up some in the morning sweltering heat. Nick arrived with his own tools, only requiring an air source. It was nice to meet him and follow around listening and asking questions. I'd tried to familiarize myself with a scary list of SBs, Nick very receptive to questions, showing me where specifically to look for things. I got to see the borescope images real time. Nice report with images and comments, along with offer of follow up phone calls. We talked about the kind of flying I might do and thus received some specific ideas on improvements. I might set up a first annual at his shop to go over some items pointed out in the inspection to bring the plane into better condition. His business seemed to be booming. Note on price: this cost more than many prebuy advertised prices, I was more than willing to pay thinking of it as my best insurance before shelling out big bucks.

Okay, so enough story telling. Price agreed upon, I'm buying the plane. There are several things I want to learn about.

1. I watched my most recent 172 annual. Manuals were constantly consulted for things like diagrams and more importantly torque specs. How does one get such things for an RV? Do I need to comb thru a construction manual and develop a chart? Will Vans sell me such a construction manual? Does anyone have a Vans RV 10 torque setting chart? What about a comprehensive list of potentially consumable parts to replace at each CI (things like the washers replaced at each of my spark plugs). If I hire a certified shop to work on the plane, how do I organize my own service manual, reference manual to make things easier?

2. 15 year old prop has never been serviced. I expect to not overhaul, but to reseal and IRAN. I can find some descriptions of doing this, but no videos on Vans RV prop removals. I might leave this for my first CI but I will have more downtime this fall, might send it out. Any pointers on removal and reinstall? Any videos of this? CI not due until June 25.

3. ADAHRS- there is only one, a 2nd suggested for IFR flight. I could either go a route of doing another of whatever is in the plane, but in learning about them I wonder if a G5 is a better option given the built in battery? There is no backup battery in the plane.

4. The cylinders had some corrosion and pitting, plane has not flown much the past 2 years. I plan to use Camguard, fly it 20 hours, get Blackstone tested, then change oil regularly for a while. Fly a lot. Anything else?

Insurance and instruction already researched, plans made. It will take a couple weeks from here to take delivery. Anything else I should be thinking of?

I've posted a lot of questions here on subjects like building a workshop, prebuys, and builder assist. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge thus far. I'm grateful for the help.

Please don't take this as a condescending remark BUT with corrosion and pitting in the cylinders and not flying much for two years, experience shows that you may soon own one of those overhauled (or at least IRAN'd) engines and the bill that comes with it. As long as you've factored that into the price, other than the extended downtime, you'll be ok.

Please don't take this as a condescending remark BUT with corrosion and pitting in the cylinders and not flying much for two years, experience shows that you may soon own one of those overhauled (or at least IRAN'd) engines and the bill that comes with it. As long as you've factored that into the price, other than the extended downtime, you'll be ok.
Agreed.

how does one quantify the risk of this?

a large proportion of comments of this scenario say the engine will give out next 100 hours, or similar such fears. A small minority say to fly.

Agreed.

how does one quantify the risk of this?

a large proportion of comments of this scenario say the engine will give out next 100 hours, or similar such fears. A small minority say to fly.
The cost of just the labor for disassembly and reassembly of the engine for an IRAN inspection (Inspect And Repair AS Necessary) is around $10k. To replace the cam and lifters, hone the cylinders, replace the rings, bearings, replace all of the consumables, do any required machining, and hardware, will run another $15k. This assumes the crankshaft is good. If its not, add another $10k. It can add up quick. BTW, this assumes the work is done by a reputable, well-known shop.

You're correct, the odds are that the cam will have corrosion and will eventually cause metal in the filter requiring a teardown but some dodge the bullet. Just make certain you've considered this when purchasing.

I left out $3-5k engine removal and replacement unless you're able to do it yourself.
Thanks. I'm thinking 50K overhaul, 75K new.

I posted about the engine and inspection report in a few places before buying, I am now ready to move on to the questions posed in this thread. Can you add anything to that discussion?

The construction manual (which should (might?) come with the plane) will have all the part numbers and torque spec's. If you don't get it with the plane, Van's will sell you a digital copy for $10 or so.

Prop removal is simple. You remove the spinner (14 screws, I think), cut/remove 3 pieces of safety wire, and loosen 6 nuts and it comes off. Someone at your local airport can show you or you can solicit for more details in this space. You'll need a friend or two, or an engine hoist w/straps, or some other method to support the prop as you remove it. Antisplat Aero sells a special wrench that will help but isn't absolutely necessary.

The path to a second ADHARS is mostly a personal preference with cost as a factor.

As has been explained, the engine is your vulnerability. In addition to the cost of potential repairs, there will be significant downtime if you have to remove and IRAN the engine. I think you mentioned in another thread that you'd negotiated a price which reflected the engine condition.

Where are you located? It is probably a good idea to tap into the local RV community in that area.

You can buy a set of plans from Vans. Also you can download a lot of the Maintenace kind of info in Section 5 https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/5/

You'll want to get copies of the Lycoming manuals (operators, parts, and overhaul which can be found online) and for all of the systems.

Removing/installing a prop is pretty straight forward. I use a harbor freight engine crane to hold it in place. a prop wrench helps (I got mine from Anti-Splat Aero). You have to be patient as you have to loosen or tighten each bolt a little at a time around the hub. The biggest gotcha is forgetting to install the hub o-ring. Finish up with new safety wire on the bolts-- they get wired in pairs.

Last edited:
The construction manual (which should (might?) come with the plane) will have all the part numbers and torque spec's. If you don't get it with the plane, Van's will sell you a digital copy for $10 or so.

Prop removal is simple. You remove the spinner (14 screws, I think), cut/remove 3 pieces of safety wire, and loosen 6 nuts and it comes off. Someone at your local airport can show you or you can solicit for more details in this space. You'll need a friend or two, or an engine hoist w/straps, or some other method to support the prop as you remove it. Antisplat Aero sells a special wrench that will help but isn't absolutely necessary.

The path to a second ADHARS is mostly a personal preference with cost as a factor.

As has been explained, the engine is your vulnerability. In addition to the cost of potential repairs, there will be significant downtime if you have to remove and IRAN the engine. I think you mentioned in another thread that you'd negotiated a price which reflected the engine condition.

Where are you located? It is probably a good idea to tap into the local RV community in that area.

Thanks. Construction manual was not part of the 10 notebooks inspected.
We are in NC. We are trying to meet with local EAA chapters, one dissolved, not sure how much building there is going on at another.
I've met with a builder an hour away. Share a hangar with a 9 owner.

You can buy a set of plans from Vans. Also you can download a lot of the Maintenace kind of info in Section 5 https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/5/

You'll want to get copies of the Lycoming manuals (operators, parts, and overhaul which can be found online) and for all of the systems.

Removing/installing a prop is pretty straight forward. I use a harbor freight engine crane to hold it in place. a prop wrench helps (I got mine from Anti-Splat Aero). You have to be patient as you have to loosen or tighten each bolt a little at a time around the hub. The biggest gotcha is forgetting to install the hub o-ring.

Thanks Todd. You have especially been helpful with all my questions along the way. I sure hope you get to fly in between responses...

Removing/installing a prop is pretty straight forward. I use a harbor freight engine crane to hold it in place. a prop wrench helps (I got mine from Anti-Splat Aero). You have to be patient as you have to loosen or tighten each bolt a little at a time around the hub. The biggest gotcha is forgetting to install the hub o-ring.

Great link to that chart page 5-20!

No one has yet answered your question about nut/bolt torque. With few exceptions the RV uses aircraft standard AN hardware, and torque tables are easily found on the internet for various size bolts. Read carefully, some say ‘dry threads’, some say ‘lubricated threads’. You’ll need two torque wrenches, one ‘low range’ (10-100 inch pounds) for most hardware but also a high range (10-100 foot pounds) for things like spark plugs or really large bolts.